TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 3, 2022
There have been a lot of posts about practice written exercises of late. Here are a couple of our free written case study exercises you can use:

Written exercise 1
Written exercise 2
Thank you Jessica! It says on page 2 of both case studies:

'To simulate a real written exercise, we recommend that you print out the materials, time yourself and hand-write your answer. Try to work in a quiet environment with no distractions. If you would like feedback, please email your answer to [email protected] with the subject “Written Case Study”.'

I'm just wondering if we are still able to get feedback?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you Jessica! It says on page 2 of both case studies:

'To simulate a real written exercise, we recommend that you print out the materials, time yourself and hand-write your answer. Try to work in a quiet environment with no distractions. If you would like feedback, please email your answer to [email protected] with the subject “Written Case Study”.'

I'm just wondering if we are still able to get feedback?
Unfortunately we can’t give feedback anymore on the case studies due to the number of requests we would receive.

Reactions: 8080

rosec

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2022
I don’t think referring to other articles in detail is needed because your interviewers don’t have access to them. A brief reference is fine, but I think also the chances of you reading an article directly related to the one you are being asked to review is unlikely at the same time.

You’ll usually be given instructions on what you need to consider when reviewing the article in your preparation time. In addition, the interviewers will ask you specific questions - it’s not like you just talk about it generally, so it’s really more about utilising the article and your general knowledge to support your answers to these questions.
thank you so much!! :) when you/they don't have the article and you've just been asked to talk about one (and the freedom to choose any article) with no specific instructions, would this still be the same? so could you talk about the issue in the article a little more generally/ very briefly reference articles you may have read in the past, or should you stick with specifics? really appreciate your help!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
thank you so much!! :) when you/they don't have the article and you've just been asked to talk about one (and the freedom to choose any article) with no specific instructions, would this still be the same? so could you talk about the issue in the article a little more generally/ very briefly reference articles you may have read in the past, or should you stick with specifics? really appreciate your help!
If you have been asked to focus on one article and you have free reign to choose it, I would only focus on the article, not multiple articles, even if they are related.

Your answer will need to be focused and structured, and there is a risk that by trying to talk about things more broadly, you answer is not going to focus on what the question/exercise is asking of you.

rosec

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2022
If you have been asked to focus on one article and you have free reign to choose it, I would only focus on the article, not multiple articles, even if they are related.

Your answer will need to be focused and structured, and there is a risk that by trying to talk about things more broadly, you answer is not going to focus on what the question/exercise is asking of you.
thank you so much!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.