Status
Not open for further replies.

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Does any international student have experience completing a 2-week vacation scheme, where the first week is during term time (limited 20 hours per week of working), but the second week is during the easter holiday (so full time hours of work is allowable).

Interviewing at a few firms that have scheme dates in late March/early April for spring. Looking for advice on how to navigate this with grad rec should an offer come through.
    I'm not an international student, but during a winter vac scheme at NRF we had an international student who had the same problem. They allowed this student to do 20 hours in the first week and a full working week in the second. I think each firm will have a different approach to this, however, so probably best to check in with individual law firms. They may suggest you opt for a direct TC route or an alternate scheme.

lawperson123

Feb 2, 2023
    Anyone ever received a VS offer after being put on hold? Idk what to think right now 😢
    Do people ever drop out of vacation schemes?
    Whilst it may be slightly disheartening, I’d try to rationalise that the firm clearly see some key potential in you - and don’t want to entirely throw that away.

I do think it’s possible to get a place through other’s dropping out. If other applicants have applied to firms with VS’s at the same time and they have their preferred firm come in later then there’s scope for you to get that place!

For example, I know that this year Jones Day, WFW, Shearman and W&C are all in the same period, so people applying to those firms might have to weight their options.

Hope this helps! Don’t let your head go down!

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    Whilst it may be slightly disheartening, I’d try to rationalise that the firm clearly see some key potential in you - and don’t want to entirely throw that away.

I do think it’s possible to get a place through other’s dropping out. If other applicants have applied to firms with VS’s at the same time and they have their preferred firm come in later then there’s scope for you to get that place!

For example, I know that this year Jones Day, WFW, Shearman and W&C are all in the same period, so people applying to those firms might have to weight their options.

Hope this helps! Don’t let your head go down!
    Thank you

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.