TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
I see, I put specific work dates though because the forms wouldn't let me move on to the next page!
Oh ok - I assume they'll check with the company, as normal, and your dates will match theirs so it will be ok. It might flag up an issue as the dates entered on the background checker are different to those on your app form, but if this is flagged to the firm, they'll realise that it's just 'dates worked' vs 'employment period'. I really don't think you have anything to worry about - the background checker isn't trying to trip you up, it's just to check that you've been truthful :) there are always ways to sort these things out - the firm wouldn't just renege your offer!

• Love
Reactions: Ali A

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I see,

My period of employment was on and off from 2019 to 2021 due to leaving and going back a few times when I had free time during my studies and being told I am welcome back whenever I want. On my applications, I put 2019 to 2021 as I thought doing it three separate times would be pointless.

Would this be an issue when they come to check? Or would they just give the company a call.
For future applications, make this clearer in the description of the work experience as things like this can be an issue as your application will have read that you were in employment consistently for three years rather than on and off for three years.

If you go through a reference check, explain this to the reference company. It might not have been an issue if you were on a Zero hours contract the entire time, but could be a bit of an issue depending collectively how long you actually worked for the company. For instance, if it was collectively only 3 months across 3 years, you might find that problematic.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If I applied for a firm's VS and am now applying for its TC (same cycle), should I write completely new answers if some questions are the same? @Jessica Booker
They don't have to be completely new - but I would definitely try to update and refine any subsequent application.

Reactions: Bubbles

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Am I right in saying all law firms checks are conducted by Sterling Talent? Because my previous VS, was conducted by that agency. And I did have couple errors, but the firm just approached my internship companies instead. Still not sure on what the errors were..? Thank you for pointing out some of the possible errors :)
No - there are a whole host of organisations that do reference checks. Some firms do the process themselves too.

NMA

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 19, 2020
For future applications, make this clearer in the description of the work experience as things like this can be an issue as your application will have read that you were in employment consistently for three years rather than on and off for three years.

If you go through a reference check, explain this to the reference company. It might not have been an issue if you were on a Zero hours contract the entire time, but could be a bit of an issue depending collectively how long you actually worked for the company. For instance, if it was collectively only 3 months across 3 years, you might find that problematic.
What should I do if the charity store I volunteered for closed and none of the original people I worked with continued? Should I try get in contact with the charity's general inbox that handles recruiting UK-wide or is it sufficient to just inform the firm about it?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What should I do if the charity store I volunteered for closed and none of the original people I worked with continued? Should I try get in contact with the charity's general inbox that handles recruiting UK-wide or is it sufficient to just inform the firm about it?
Sounds like a voluntary role, so it’s unlikely to be checked where it isn’t employment.

If you were employed, then the company will have a general HR contact number/email that will be sought anyway.

rosec

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2022
Do you provide information to background check companies or do they automatically check against your application form? I'm no longer working one of the roles but it would say on my written application that I am (as I stopped after)

livelovelaw

Standard Member
Jan 17, 2023
On the subject of references, are firms likely to contact me prior to checking work experiences? I used to volunteer at a branch of a large national charity, but was never formally registered on their systems until my final month. I am worried if they contact the charity directly, it will look like I didn't volunteer for the length of time I did. Whereas if the firm ask me for contact details, I can give them the email of my direct supervisor who can confirm?

• 🤝
Reactions: Lord Sumption
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.