Cover letters

Saffa

Standard Member
Mar 27, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am trying to apply for training contracts that requires to submit cover letters. I need advice on what sort of information is needed to go on cover letters and how long should a cover letter be? If anyone could help, that would be great.

Thank you in advance.
Regards
Saffa

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This is a generalisation as some firms have their own preferences:

No more than a page of A4

If in the form of a Word document, then go with a traditional letter format (addresses, dates, Dear, appropriate sign off etc).

If applying with a CV, three paragraphs (not necessarily in the following order):

Why the opportunity
Why them
Why you

At best, a fourth paragraph for any extenuating circumstances or information you need to present (eg when you are available for interview if you are outside of the UK).

Don’t repeat detail provided in elsewhere in your application or CV.

Don’t waste space/word count with unnecessary phrases like “I am writing to you to apply for the role of the Summer Internship with Gobbledegook law firm” or “Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further information from me”

Reactions: Ricky, m24 and aualn613

Saffa

Standard Member
Mar 27, 2019
This is a generalisation as some firms have their own preferences:

No more than a page of A4

If in the form of a Word document, then go with a traditional letter format (addresses, dates, Dear, appropriate sign off etc).

If applying with a CV, three paragraphs (not necessarily in the following order):

Why the opportunity
Why them
Why you

At best, a fourth paragraph for any extenuating circumstances or information you need to present (eg when you are available for interview if you are outside of the UK).

Don’t repeat detail provided in elsewhere in your application or CV.

Don’t waste space/word count with unnecessary phrases like “I am writing to you to apply for the role of the Summer Internship with Gobbledegook law firm” or “Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further information from me”

Thank you, Jessica.

gricole

Legendary Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    Should we provide brief information on why commercial law more generally in the beginning, especially for students who did conversion courses?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Should we provide brief information on why commercial law more generally in the beginning, especially for students who did conversion courses?

It doesn’t need its own paragraph but could be integrated. If you are doing a conversion course it will be obvious you are looking to get into law though.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica

Do we need to include our name and address at the top of the covering letter if this is included elsewhere in the application form?

Giovanni

Not if it is a free text box as part of an application. I would do it if it is an attachment to an application though

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.