Cover letters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Saffa, Oct 11, 2019 at 12:19 PM.

1. Saffa

Saffa New Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi everyone,

I am trying to apply for training contracts that requires to submit cover letters. I need advice on what sort of information is needed to go on cover letters and how long should a cover letter be? If anyone could help, that would be great.

Thank you in advance.
    Regards
    Saffa

2. Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    This is a generalisation as some firms have their own preferences:

No more than a page of A4

If in the form of a Word document, then go with a traditional letter format (addresses, dates, Dear, appropriate sign off etc).

If applying with a CV, three paragraphs (not necessarily in the following order):

Why the opportunity
    Why them
    Why you

At best, a fourth paragraph for any extenuating circumstances or information you need to present (eg when you are available for interview if you are outside of the UK).

Don’t repeat detail provided in elsewhere in your application or CV.

Don’t waste space/word count with unnecessary phrases like “I am writing to you to apply for the role of the Summer Internship with Gobbledegook law firm” or “Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further information from me”

• Like Like x 1
  3. Saffa

Saffa New Member

TCLA Credits:
    Thank you, Jessica.

4. gricole

gricole Legendary Member
    Premium Member

TCLA Credits:
    Should we provide brief information on why commercial law more generally in the beginning, especially for students who did conversion courses?

5. Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    It doesn’t need its own paragraph but could be integrated. If you are doing a conversion course it will be obvious you are looking to get into law though.