Winter vac schemes clashing with university commitments?

Blair

Oct 8, 2019
I am wondering whether many finalists are applying for winter vac schemes even if they clash with the last few weeks of the autumn university term. My term finishes on the 13th December and a lot of the vac schemes begin on the 9th Oct, and during that week I have a lot of tutorials and seminars (not just lectures).

I'm not sure whether to apply for these winter vac schemes anyway and miss these commitments? Is that a position that many finalists are forced to take?

Also, re Spring vac schemes, are people not concerned that these are very time consuming when we have exams and coursework to prepare?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am wondering whether many finalists are applying for winter vac schemes even if they clash with the last few weeks of the autumn university term. My term finishes on the 13th December and a lot of the vac schemes begin on the 9th Oct, and during that week I have a lot of tutorials and seminars (not just lectures).

I'm not sure whether to apply for these winter vac schemes anyway and miss these commitments? Is that a position that many finalists are forced to take?

Also, re Spring vac schemes, are people not concerned that these are very time consuming when we have exams and coursework to prepare?

It depends on your course and commitments for that last week, and obviously how confident you feel going into any assessments/exams. Some people will miss a week, but many others won’t risk it - it’s such a personal decision.

Same with Spring schemes - some people will have dissertations to hand in just after Easter, some will have handed it in before hand and then have a fairly big enough gap before exams start in late May. Some unis will start exams in late April though.

Reactions: Abstruser

Soliha

Distinguished Member
  • Sep 19, 2018
    I am an international student meaning my visa prevents me doing both winter and spring VS as my compulsory classes are clashing with VS dates. Even though I can manage both my uni work and the VS, I am limited to do only summer VS and direct TC apps. I tried to negotiate with my uni, but they told me the rules are really firm. One of the firms I wanted to apply are not considering finalists for summer VS. So I feel disadvantaged compared to other students.

I think many other students are applying for winter VS.

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    I am an international student meaning my visa prevents me doing both winter and spring VS as my compulsory classes are clashing with VS dates. Even though I can manage both my uni work and the VS, I am limited to do only summer VS and direct TC apps. I tried to negotiate with my uni, but they told me the rules are really firm. One of the firms I wanted to apply are not considering finalists for summer VS. So I feel disadvantaged compared to other students.

I think many other students are applying for winter VS.

Do consider applying for a direct TC if you still have your heart set on that firm. Visa restrictions was one of the reasons I did only direct TCs in my final cycle, and I was offered a TC with a firm that I couldn't complete a VS with due to visa restrictions in the previous cycle. I didn't find the application process different with direct TCs and VSs.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Soliha

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.