White & Case video interview - commercial questions

Oliver Gilliland

Distinguished Member
Sep 6, 2018
Wondered if anyone had any other commercial questions from the W & C video interview? I heard they had a set 24 questions they use for the entire video process(including competency and motivation)

The ones ive seen:

Talk about a recent article that interested you

If you had a £1,000,000 where would you invest?

Would we be better in or out of the EU? (I assume this is probably outdated now)

Reactions: bob

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Wondered if anyone had any other commercial questions from the W & C video interview? I heard they had a set 24 questions they use for the entire video process(including competency and motivation)

The ones ive seen:

Would we be better in or out of the EU? (I assume this is probably outdated now)
    Have you heard back from White & Case and been invited to a VI Oliver? I still haven't heard anything...

bob

Nov 10, 2018

The ones ive seen:

where have you seen these?

FreddyS

Distinguished Member
    Feb 28, 2018

The ones ive seen:

I've heard of that second one before (but not for W&C) being asked at interviews. Worth preparing anyway I think.

Shane

Distinguished Member
    Jul 22, 2018
    How long has it taken people to hear back from VI, did mine last week.

They asked what the benefits of the guaranteed international seat were, what were the biggest challenges facing law firms and a time where I had to overcome a challenge.

Lana

Nov 15, 2019

They asked what the benefits of the guaranteed international seat were, what were the biggest challenges facing law firms and a time where I had to overcome a challenge.
    Hi Shane, thanks for this! How long did you get to answer each question?

Reactions: H212

Demna87

Distinguished Member
    Aug 23, 2018

Respectfully, don't you think it undermines the process slightly to give the exact wording of every single question?
    In regards to hearing back apparently grad rec have a bit of a backlog of applications because the deadline just passed, so I think it might take a bit longer.

Lana

Nov 15, 2019
    Respectfully, don't you think it undermines the process slightly to give the exact wording of every single question?
    In regards to hearing back apparently grad rec have a bit of a backlog of applications because the deadline just passed, so I think it might take a bit longer.
    Respectfully, if you have a look at most of the other threads, everyone is suggesting questions that might come up for interviews. I don't see the problem

Demna87

Distinguished Member
    Aug 23, 2018
    Respectfully, if you have a look at most of the other threads, everyone is suggesting questions that might come up for interviews. I don't see the problem
    Hi, it’s fine if you disagree with me but my concern is that these aren’t suggestions. I’ve done the VI and these are the three questions. In my view, it’s clear that candidates who are able to prepare them in advance are given an unfair advantage.

Personally, I just think there is a distinction between helping someone prepare for an assessment and handing them the answers (or in this case, the specific questions that will be asked).

In the interview experiences specific details are redacted. However, if it’s the website rules that only in-person interview specifics are redacted then I obviously won’t disagree with that.

Best of luck with the VI.

Reactions: jan28

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.