Legendary Member
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Operations
Jul 13, 2022
Hi everyone, I hope you're all having a lovely week so far. 😊

I've had a lot of questions from the community over the last week, asking for advice on how to prepare for a video interview. I wanted to jump into the forum today to share with you our best advice on how to prepare for at video interview at home. Our best advice to prepare for any interview is to simulate the real thing as closely as possible, and practice in this simulated environment as many times as you can. The phrase 'practice makes perfect' really does apply here!

Here is a step-by-step guide on how to simulate a video interview:

1. Prepare:

⭐️ Find a time and place where you can complete your video interview free from distraction. Turn off any phone or computer notifications, let your family/housemates know not to disturb you, and find a comfortable spot.

⭐️Create a list of possible interview questions that you haven't prepared for. You are likely already prepared to answer a range of common interview questions, so simulating answering these won't really challenge you here, and this needs to be challenging in order for you to improve! Need inspiration? Try taking a few from this list.

⭐️Once you've compiled your questions, give yourself 30 seconds to 1 minute to prepare your answers. Try to stick to this time limit to ensure it's as a close to the real interview as possible.

2. Record:

⭐️Record yourself answering each question.
    Use your computer, phone or digital camera (people still use those, right?) and record yourself giving your answer to each question.

⭐️Set a strict time limit. This part is key, as the trickiest part of a video interview is answering under time constraints. Set a timer for 1-2 minutes and give it your best shot. Try to avoid going over time here, as you won't get those extra seconds during the real interview!

3. Review:

⭐️Watch your recording back and ask yourself, am I projecting my voice? Am I gesturing? Am I varying my tone? Am I maintaining eye contact? If I was the interviewer, would I find my answers convincing? No one enjoys watching themselves back on video, but this is a vital step for you to see how your answers are coming across to the interviewer, and to identify any points for improvement.

4. Repeat:

⭐️Repeat this process as many times as you can until you feel confident in answering any question within a time limit. You'll never know exactly what questions will be asked, so the aim here is to get better at answering on-the-spot questions, whilst staying composed and finishing within the time limit.
I hope you find this useful! Feel free to share any of your own tips and advice for how to prepare for a video interview in this thread. 😊

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.