Pinsent Masons Application 2019/20

Rufanacht

Standard Member
Sep 6, 2019
Hi guys, I'm finding this website incredibly useful so thought I'd get involved in the forum!

For anyone applying for the Pinsent Masons vacation scheme, the word limit for the application questions is 4000 characters, which is pretty long (I've just written 647 words which is 3876 characters)!

Would people recommend staying well clear of this word limit even if one could comfortably get near it? Is it realistic to try and be concise at this word count?

BTW the questions are:
What are your main spare time interests?
Describe your greatest non-academic achievement of the last two years and why this achievement is important to you.
Please explain why you have decided to pursue a career in commercial law.
Please explain why you are applying to Pinsent Masons.

Reactions: Jaysen

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi guys, I'm finding this website incredibly useful so thought I'd get involved in the forum!

For anyone applying for the Pinsent Masons vacation scheme, the word limit for the application questions is 4000 characters, which is pretty long (I've just written 647 words which is 3876 characters)!

Would people recommend staying well clear of this word limit even if one could comfortably get near it? Is it realistic to try and be concise at this word count?

BTW the questions are:
    Describe your greatest non-academic achievement of the last two years and why this achievement is important to you.

Welcome! It’s great to have you on board.

I usually take the word count as an indication of how much detail they are looking for. I would then look to get as close to it as possible, without waffling or just writing for the sake of it.

I am also applying to Pinsent Masons. I have just had a look at the training contract application but their job portal has really confused me. Do you have loads of options for training contracts with random things like ‘SG Test’ next to it? I question if I’m actually seeing the right page!

I also can’t find a list of questions when I start the application. Given the fact you have those questions for the VC, I would expect to see the same/similar for the TC application but all I have is one question about an apprenticeship and the opportunity to fill in my work experience and CV. Feel like I’m missing something!

Rufanacht

Standard Member
    Sep 6, 2019
    Welcome! It’s great to have you on board.

I usually take the word count as an indication of how much detail they are looking for. I would then look to get as close to it as possible, without waffling or just writing for the sake of it.

I am also applying to Pinsent Masons. I have just had a look at the training contract application but their job portal has really confused me. Do you have loads of options for training contracts with random things like ‘SG Test’ next to it? I question if I’m actually seeing the right page!

I also can’t find a list of questions when I start the application. Given the fact you have those questions for the VC, I would expect to see the same/similar for the TC application but all I have is one question about an apprenticeship and the opportunity to fill in my work experience and CV. Feel like I’m missing something!

Thanks, I'd better get writing then! I did have all that yesterday but checking back today it all looks normal - the questions seem to be the same for TC and VS.

I had to fill out the first two sections on general info and work experience to see the application questions so maybe that's it?

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    These are the questions I'm seeing on the TC App 2022. Do you see the same?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-09-25 at 18.58.06.png
      Screenshot 2019-09-25 at 18.58.06.png
      365.2 KB · Views: 225

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I think I’ll just email recruitment. It doesn’t look right to me! Never been asked for my salary on a training contract application before

Its a fairly normal question to ask.

But going by the format of the application there seems to be some errors -

Title suggests this is a dummy application
    It says an apprenticeship not a TC

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019

Interesting. I would have thought because the main bulk of people applying are students they wouldn’t ask.

What about the other question? I usually wouldn’t say ‘apprenticeship’ is synonymous with training contract, though I suppose it could be.

There’s also not anywhere else on the application for similar questions like Rufanacht quoted in their original post. It’s just this page and a page to fill in work experience (then contextual questions.) But again, maybe this just isn’t a typical TC application.

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019

But going by the format of the application there seems to be some errors -

Title suggests this is a dummy application
    It says an apprenticeship not a TC

I’ve just seen your edit! I agree, there’s dozens of ‘test’ applications available which I don’t think I should be seeing. I think I will email recruitment just to check.

Thank you for your help as always Jessica!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Interesting. I would have thought because the main bulk of people applying are students they wouldn’t ask.

What about the other question? I usually wouldn’t say ‘apprenticeship’ is synonymous with training contract, though I suppose it could be.

There’s also not anywhere else on the application for similar questions like Rufanacht quoted in their original post. It’s just this page and a page to fill in work experience (then contextual questions.) But again, maybe this just isn’t a typical TC application.

No its clearly an error - the job title shows it hasn’t been set up correctly

Alice10

Jan 27, 2019
    Hi, is that 4000 characters per question or 4000 for them all together?

BTW the questions are:
    Hi,

Phoebe

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 25, 2018
    Hi,

For the question about spare time interests I've only managed to write 3,000 characters so 500 words. I feel like if I write anything else it won't be as good quality/I would be writing for the sake of it.

Do you think this would still be too far away from the 4,000 character limit?

I think I could get nearer to the character limit for the why commercial law/why Pinsent Masons questions, as I feel like they would be easier to write more for.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi,

For the question about spare time interests I've only managed to write 3,000 characters so 500 words. I feel like if I write anything else it won't be as good quality/I would be writing for the sake of it.

Do you think this would still be too far away from the 4,000 character limit?

I think I could get nearer to the character limit for the why commercial law/why Pinsent Masons questions, as I feel like they would be easier to write more for.

it’s never about quantity - it’s always about quality.

Don’t assume the things you are thinking are low quality shouldn’t be included, but don’t bulk word count up for the sake of hitting closer to 4000 characters and just being verbose and wordy.

KS94

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 21, 2018
    Hi All,

Is anyone else struggling with the main spare time interests question? I feel like the answers I've given for similar questions on other applications seem more geared towards demonstrating soft skills whereas this one appears to want to get to know you as an individual - it's actually quite tough!

Phoebe

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 25, 2018
    Hi All,

Is anyone else struggling with the main spare time interests question? I feel like the answers I've given for similar questions on other applications seem more geared towards demonstrating soft skills whereas this one appears to want to get to know you as an individual - it's actually quite tough!

I definitely struggled with writing an answer. I took it as them wanting to get to know you as an individual but I also made sure I mentioned a few things I'd gained from it e.g. one of my interests is foreign cinema so I said how it made me think creatively and encouraged critical thinking - I just made sure it didn't sound like I was trying to shoehorn in skills I've gained if the question didn't really ask for that specifically.

NinaMuscat

Standard Member
    Aug 14, 2019
    Hi all :) had read online that Pinsent Masons doesnt recruite on a rolling basis and now looking at their graduate website it seems this is no longer the case !! Would it still be worth while to submit my application in the next couple of days (deadline being 9th December)? Any guidance would be really appreciated

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all :) had read online that Pinsent Masons doesnt recruite on a rolling basis and now looking at their graduate website it seems this is no longer the case !! Would it still be worth while to submit my application in the next couple of days (deadline being 9th December)? Any guidance would be really appreciated

yes - if applications are open it is always worthwhile applying

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Lauren

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 16, 2018
    I'm a bit confused about whether PM is rolling or not, they advise to get the application in as soon as possible but say they will review 'all applications after the deadline' on their website. Can anyone provide clarity for definite? Any guidance would be appreciated :)

PSM

Esteemed Member
    Aug 9, 2019
    I'm a bit confused about whether PM is rolling or not, they advise to get the application in as soon as possible but say they will review 'all applications after the deadline' on their website. Can anyone provide clarity for definite? Any guidance would be appreciated :)

I went to one of the Pinsent Masons pizza making events and grad rec said it is NOT rolling. They said it will make no difference if you submit on the first or last day

Reactions: Biena and Lulu76

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.