Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
"Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you.
(We are looking for structure and succinctness in your answer. Your answer does not need to be related to law or HSF and it is a chance for us to find out more about you and your interests)"

This is one of the HSF vac scheme questions. I actually have a legal issue I think is interesting - I assume its still ok to write about this? I'm guessing what they're looking for here is your ability to introduce and explain a topic in a somewhat interesting way, rather than actually find out more about your interests?
I’d stress the “you” is the most important part of this question, and so they are very much interested in finding out about something that genuinely interests you alongside how you draft and write about something.

Reactions: bella98

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey guys,

Really conflicted about what to do here so any advice from @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre or anyone would be much appreciated.

Linklaters is a firm that is at the top of my list.

As I have just done a summer VS at a top US firm (did not convert), I do not know whether to apply for the Winter VS or Direct TC. The application process is the exact same for both routes.

What I infer from the website is that the VS is a great way to get to know Linklaters. However, as they offer 100 TC spots a year, I was wondering if anyone knew if most of these go to VS participants.

My fear is being rejected for a VS and then regretting not going for the Direct TC route, especially as a graduate with a VS under my belt.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
There was a post a while back that suggested that Linklaters typically offer around 80-85% of their VS candidates a TC. That won’t actually be the determiner of your chances though, as if the firm can always hire more people directly if for some reason their VS candidates are not strong enough.

Reactions: Ali A

F12M34L

Legendary Member
  • Apr 28, 2022
    A little skeptical about applying to NRF as their website says:
    We require AAB at A level and a 2.1 at university to be considered. If you are a law student we require a minimum 2.1 in both your Contract and Tort modules. We do however take into account any mitigating circumstances you faced during your academics, and there is space to elaborate on these on the application form. This will only be visible to the Early Careers team and will not impact your application.

are they really strict about academics? i had 58 in tort (mitigating circumstances).. feel like they will reject straightaway

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    P.S. This is what the website states but would still be interested in people's opinions!

"If you are eligible for both, the decision is yours, there is no advantage to applying to one vacancy over another - the application and assessment process is the same. If you have not yet undertaken assessed legal work experience (typically a vacation scheme), we would advise you to apply for a vacation scheme in order to ensure you can make an informed decision about training with us. Please only apply for either a vacation scheme or a training contract at any one time. You may apply for a training contract after making an unsuccessful application for a vacation scheme but please do spend time addressing any feedback you receive. You can only take the online assessment once each academic year. You are able to reapply for a vacancy in the same academic year, but you will not be able to retake the assessment in the same window."
    Hi @Ali A, thank you so much for reaching out and thank you for your question which I think can be useful for many people on the thread. In my opinion it is worth applying to a vacation scheme compared to a direct training contract for three main reasons:

1. Despite your experience in a law firm (thanks to your past vacation scheme), it is important to remember that law firms are very different to a certain extent from one another and experiencing multiple vacation schemes is a great opportunity to understand the culture of a firm as well as the different personalities that they tend to hire. In my experience, I met a lot of people with multiple vacation schemes preferring to apply to vacation schemes rather than direct training contracts because not only was it an opportunity to meet new people and expand their networks, but it also gave them an opportunity to understand what kind of culture they mostly fit in. So there is a massive benefit in attending multiple vacation schemes, even if you do not convert them. I know it is easier said than done and it can appear as a waste of your time, but a vacation scheme will give you the opportunity to comprehend law firms better.

2. Secondly, and maybe most importantly, vacation schemes are easier to get than a direct training contract. Whenever I spoke to different graduate recruitment from different firms they all highlighted the fact that they all tend to recruit heavily from their vacation scheme cohorts because they are hiring people that they essentially were able to assess for a longer period of time. This means that they feel more confident in giving vacation scheme students offers and of their potential success at the firm. Overall, you should feel way better about yourself if you apply to a vacation scheme and you successfully convert it!

3. Thirdly, vacation schemes are a good way to understand the ins and outs of different practice areas, what pro bono actually entails and where your interests lie when it comes to practical work. Having done a vacation scheme myself, I can totally see the benefit in attending many and be able to fully comprehend what kind of practice areas I might be interested in and the kind of work they practically do.

This is my own perspective, I am sure that some people would disasgree so it is important to weigh the pros and cons for yourself.

I think that whenever you have this doubt for any application, you should ask yourself three questions:
    • Do I feel like I have had enough professional experiences that would showcase how I would succeed as a future lawyer?
    • Am I in the position to successfully perform at commercial interviews and case study scenarios better than an individual who did the vacation scheme at firm x?
    • Would I bring a different set of skills and experience to the position compared to a vacation scheme participant?
    If the answers to all these questions are YES, then I would tell you to consider a direct training contract.

Overall, I understand your concerns but I would say to focus your energy on vacation scheme applications and try to attempt direct Training Contract applications for firms that tend to recruit heavily from them.
    From my experience, it feels as though law firms would recruit from direct training contract individuals that worked for 3+ years in a legal position or another position that can contribute heavily to their work, i.e. paralegals, legal assistants, legal research analysts, consultants, bankers, researchers, doctors etc..

Additionally, I think it is important for you to remember that vacation schemes are an opportunity for you to meet as many lawyers, associates and partners and let them know about your journey into the legal profession and why you are interested. It is one thing to say it in an interview and it is another to have a casual conversation with a partner having coffee!

I really hope this application cycle works for you and I am sending you positive energy! Good luck!

Last edited:
    • 🏆
    Reactions: icl and Ali A

TheTCcommune

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 26, 2022
    Does anyone have tips on Latham & Watkins' online assessment?
    I think it's new from this recruitment cycle so not sure how many people will have insight into it. From the website it says it will simulate the work of a pro bono case, inspired from a real case. So assuming it'll be an SJT revolving around you working on a pro bono case at the firm?

Reactions: Aaj03

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.