Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Be thankful she doesn't have to deal with them any more?

If a candidate did this, without having a heart attack or getting run over by a bus, they'd be blacklisted for life.
This just isn’t true.

There are not these forms of blacklisting as people like to suggest there is. The firm’s representative would just be happy to get some time back and move on to the next candidate/job/piece of work and not think much else about it.

Reactions: Tintin06

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker , my friend did a vac scheme with a firm in July but couldn't convert it into a TC. On the day of the feedback call, the firm cancelled the call 10 minutes before it was supposed to happen and asked her to email them to reschedule. She didn't receive any reply after that. She's emailed HR, the supervisor etc but hasn't heard at all. What can she do in this situation?
I would encourage your friend to contact them again and see if they can do the feedback at some time over the next couple of weeks and get your friend to explain their availability for that period.

Reactions: Bubbles

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Reactions: Minitomatosalad

R-0

Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 10, 2023
Hello everyone,

For those of you who have experience applying to the vacation scheme at Simmons & Simmons, there is only one essay question given:

'Please provide details of your interests, activities, positions of responsibility, skills, and achievements. Also, include any other information relevant to your application. (Max 250 words)'

I understand that this is a more 'personal' question, but should I focus mainly on my interests and extracurricular activities, or should I try to connect my answer to the firm in some way?

Happy for any tips!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello everyone,

For those of you who have experience applying to the vacation scheme at Simmons & Simmons, there is only one essay question given:

'Please provide details of your interests, activities, positions of responsibility, skills, and achievements. Also, include any other information relevant to your application. (Max 250 words)'

I understand that this is a more 'personal' question, but should I focus mainly on my interests and extracurricular activities, or should I try to connect my answer to the firm in some way?

Happy for any tips!
There is no need to explicitly connect this to the firm. Do think about what the firm may value though and therefore what types of qualities you may want to focus your answer on.

Reactions: R-0
Aug 28, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker , my friend did a vac scheme with a firm in July but couldn't convert it into a TC. On the day of the feedback call, the firm cancelled the call 10 minutes before it was supposed to happen and asked her to email them to reschedule. She didn't receive any reply after that. She's emailed HR, the supervisor etc but hasn't heard at all. What can she do in this situation?
Was this firm White & Case by any chance? Me and a bunch of other people irl and on here made it to the final assessment round for their SVS and were rejected post final assessment and we were told to schedule feedback calls with the recruitment team but they never responded to ANY of our messages and we did everything from calling to emailing and we got no response despite them promising they would give us feedback.

Bubbles

Legendary Member
Jan 19, 2022
Was this firm White & Case by any chance? Me and a bunch of other people irl and on here made it to the final assessment round for their SVS and were rejected post final assessment and we were told to schedule feedback calls with the recruitment team but they never responded to ANY of our messages and we did everything from calling to emailing and we got no response despite them promising they would give us feedback.
Nope not W&C, this was TLT. I'm sorry to hear that other firms have been doing this :(

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.