TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    A little skeptical about applying to NRF as their website says:
    We require AAB at A level and a 2.1 at university to be considered. If you are a law student we require a minimum 2.1 in both your Contract and Tort modules. We do however take into account any mitigating circumstances you faced during your academics, and there is space to elaborate on these on the application form. This will only be visible to the Early Careers team and will not impact your application.

are they really strict about academics? i had 58 in tort (mitigating circumstances).. feel like they will reject straightaway
    Please still apply! I do not have those A-Levels, and got a 53 in Contract Law (darn you Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Co) but I still got invited to a TI. As long as you have mitigating circumstances, I think it should be fine :)

Reactions: F12M34L

Aaj03

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 8, 2023
    Should I add my address and the firm’s address to a Slaughter and May cover letter?
    I’m not sure because the cover letter has to be around a page…
    Thank you in advance for any insights !

Reactions: sassoneb

Tintin06

Legendary Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    Please still apply! I do not have those A-Levels, and got a 53 in Contract Law (darn you Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Co) but I still got invited to a TI. As long as you have mitigating circumstances, I think it should be fine :)
    There are Partners at Slaughters and Skadden who got 2.2s. It was a different time but don’t overthink grades and declare any and all factors affecting performance.

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 18, 2022
    How many words (if any) are people putting in the Ashurst cover letter for why Ashurst, considering their is a 250 Q about why Ashurst?
    I said something like 'I am interested in Ashurst because of X and Y, which I elaborate on in the next question'. I read somewhere here that grad rec said the first question should focus on you and your background.

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 18, 2022
    Should I add my address and the firm’s address to a Slaughter and May cover letter?
    I’m not sure because the cover letter has to be around a page…
    Thank you in advance for any insights !
    I just added the office address but this is probably not even necessary. You can play with the margins a bit (but don't make it look ridiculous) to recover some space.

Reactions: Aaj03

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.