TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi, I am applying to a firm that I applied to last year and got to the interview stage. I was wondering, how much of my application should change or remain the same ?
Hey @babylawyer1942 I think it would be important for you to write a new application to showcase how much you have grown, learned and achieved since the last interaction with the firm last year. This is due to three important considerations:
  • You present yourself as a new candidate. In fact, it is fundamental for you to present yourself as a new candidate, more experienced, with more achievements under your belt and with more experiences that will definitely attract the attention of graduate recruitment.
  • You are able to update the firm as to what have you been up to since the last interaction. This is of major importance as you are letting the firm know that you have not been letting yourself down after the rejection. On the contrary, you have applied yourself to other experiences that made you grow as an individual and an aspirant solicitor, and consequently, a better future commercial lawyer at the firm.
  • You can work on the weakest points of your past application/interview experience. This is another good point to reflect on when it comes to applying again to firms you have applied previously. In my opinion, it is imperative that the new applications reflect a new level of perfection derived from the lessons of the previous application cycle. If you asked for feedback, this could be a good point to start from, studying what went wrong. Although your application was good enough to pass to the interview stage, you never know what levels of perfection you can reach with a new and improved application.
I hope everything I said makes sense to you and I am sure that this time around you will be successful!
Good luck with this application cycle! @babylawyer1942

Reactions: Jaysen

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
For anyone who has done the HSF test - how long did you receive the invite after you submitted?

I have my application drafted offline, and was going to submit this eve after a long day at work but it appears their application portal is down for 'maintenance'.

I am a little worried as my experience with Ashurst was that they also expect you to complete the test before the deadline.

The HSF deadline is 1st Oct, so I only have tomorrow to submit now. I am hoping there is a quick turnaround so I can do the test tomorrow too if required - can anyone advise when they heard back?

LB24

Valued Member
Sep 26, 2023
Do A&O recruit mainly from their vac scheme? I wasn’t able to apply due to work constraints so applying for the direct TC but won’t bother if they won’t even consider anyone outside the vac schemes

user9809

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 20, 2022
For anyone who has done the HSF test - how long did you receive the invite after you submitted?

I have my application drafted offline, and was going to submit this eve after a long day at work but it appears their application portal is down for 'maintenance'.

I am a little worried as my experience with Ashurst was that they also expect you to complete the test before the deadline.

The HSF deadline is 1st Oct, so I only have tomorrow to submit now. I am hoping there is a quick turnaround so I can do the test tomorrow too if required - can anyone advise when they heard back?
When I submitted mine I got the test the next day. They give you 7 days (from the time you received the email) to complete it

Petallove1

Legendary Member
Feb 8, 2023

I just submitted mine! Application portal seems all fine now but I didn't see any notifications on the website/portal. You have quite a few days to complete it and it can be after the deadline. I was thinking the same thing about getting test in before deadline, but I spoke to a trainee there and they said they submitted theirs after the deadline during recruitment process and it's all fine if that's any help - as long as its within the time given by the email! :)

Reactions: Untilwinter

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I temped at a national agency once and the first thing they said was NEVER EVER SEND BAD NEWS ON FRIDAYS (OR MONDAY MORNING).

It's extremely discourteous. You don't know where and when you're gonna meet or need a candidate again. And you don't yet know who they know in that or another industry.

It tells you all you need to know about that firm and their culture. How you do the small things is how you do the big things.
Monday mornings have always been fair game in my opinion, especially if you are also taking out Fridays.

Aug 28, 2023

That's a lie. I just spoke on the phone and emailed Ashurst and they give you 3 days from when you receive the test to do it. I got mine yesterday so I have until 2/10 and grad recruitment said it's fine. I don't know any firms that actually care about tests after the deadline so long as the application is already sent. Don't stress, y'all!

babylawyer1942

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 30, 2023
    Hey @babylawyer1942 I think it would be important for you to write a new application to showcase how much you have grown, learned and achieved since the last interaction with the firm last year. This is due to three important considerations:
    • You present yourself as a new candidate. In fact, it is fundamental for you to present yourself as a new candidate, more experienced, with more achievements under your belt and with more experiences that will definitely attract the attention of graduate recruitment.
    • You are able to update the firm as to what have you been up to since the last interaction. This is of major importance as you are letting the firm know that you have not been letting yourself down after the rejection. On the contrary, you have applied yourself to other experiences that made you grow as an individual and an aspirant solicitor, and consequently, a better future commercial lawyer at the firm.
    • You can work on the weakest points of your past application/interview experience. This is another good point to reflect on when it comes to applying again to firms you have applied previously. In my opinion, it is imperative that the new applications reflect a new level of perfection derived from the lessons of the previous application cycle. If you asked for feedback, this could be a good point to start from, studying what went wrong. Although your application was good enough to pass to the interview stage, you never know what levels of perfection you can reach with a new and improved application.
    I hope everything I said makes sense to you and I am sure that this time around you will be successful!
    Good luck with this application cycle! @babylawyer1942
    Thank you soo much, this is great advice :)

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.