TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    Quick quesiton from me, how 'good' is name dropping in applications, I've tried it in the past, and used it like 'I spoke to Bob and learnt x', but I'm not really sure how worth while it is, I asusme it does not put you at an advantage? Any thoughts @Jessica Booker ?

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Quick quesiton from me, how 'good' is name dropping in applications, I've tried it in the past, and used it like 'I spoke to Bob and learnt x', but I'm not really sure how worth while it is, I asusme it does not put you at an advantage? Any thoughts @Jessica Booker ?
    @NJS I think it does not work against you especially if you ask the person if you can mention them in your application, however, I do believe that it is not a game changer, it does not distinguish you from other people applying to the same firm. So I would make sure that the person you mention wants to be mentioned and you think they can have a say in putting you through the different stages of the applications, which is very unlikely most of the time. This is just my opinion though!
    Good luck with everything!

Reactions: NJS

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    @NJS I think it does not work against you especially if you ask the person if you can mention them in your application, however, I do believe that it is not a game changer, it does not distinguish you from other people applying to the same firm. So I would make sure that the person you mention wants to be mentioned and you think they can have a say in putting you through the different stages of the applications, which is very unlikely most of the time. This is just my opinion though!
    Good luck with everything!
    I was thinking the same, I usually message people as an extension of my research, thank you!

Aug 28, 2023
    Not really. essentially you'd have to apply for a TC separately, which means you'd need to do the interview after the workshop. Also because S&M recruits on a rolling basis, you might end up interviewing for a later intake. So you don't necessarily convert, you basically just don't have to submit an application form again.
    Pretty much every firm requires you to do a TC interview after a VS. I don't mind the later intake.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It’s typically just name dropping - it doesn’t really hold much weight just naming someone but the context in which you are explaining why you feel you should name drop/why it’s important to you application can be persuasive if there is purpose behind it. If you are just throwing it in there for the sake of it, it’s likely to just be read as such.

Reactions: axelbeugre and NJS

antheaf

Premium Member
    Sep 26, 2023
    Hey @antheaf, I think you are still in good timing for the winter scheme now, however if you feel like you would have a greater chance with the summer scheme then I would focus on that. I would exclude the direct tc, especially if you are still in university as it is very competitive and Hogan Lovells tend to recruit heavily from the schemes anyway. I hope that helps and good luck with the application, I am sure you'll smash it!
    Hi Alex, thanks so much for your response. Ok that is great to hear, thank you. To be honest I was contemplating applying to the direct TC before I read your message. I am actually not in university but have finished my undergrad, worked for a year and completed the GDL already but since I was focused on the bar I haven't done any vac schemes so I will trust your advice on this.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.