TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I have (another 🤷‍♂️) question about Stephenson Harwood's application.
The first question on the application (in case you haven't seen it) asks - "What skills do you think are needed to be a successful solicitor at Stephenson Harwood?" Max 250 words.
The question doesn't seem to be asking about my own experiences, especially with such a short word count. However, on their vac scheme application FAQs, they say that including as much of my work experience as possible will go a long way with my application.

The point is, I don't want to talk about my work experience if they are asking a particular question about something else but, then again, they do advise including this experience on their FAQ page...

Thoughts?
I agree with you, in these kind of questions it is important to specifically answer the question and the question does not ask about your experiences and the skills you have. It directly asks what skills you think an accomplished solicitor at Stephenson Harwood has. What I would do is focus on 2/3 skills and dive deeper into those without talking about you per se since the question does not ask about your skills. Having applied to the firm and passed the application stage I can tell you that it is important to showcase your experiences through the description of the professional experiences but also talking about them in other answers that allow you to talk about you more deeply. This question is kind of tricky and it seems as though they want you to talk about the skills you have, and consequently your experiences, but in my experience, they want you to mention skills they may have discussed on the website and relate them to your idea of a successful lawyer at the firm specifically!
I hope this helps and good luck again! @Lopez2017

Reactions: Lopez2017

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Does anyone know whether Hogan Lovells are strict on their A-level grade requirements, especially if you don’t have mitigating circumstances?
I am assuming all law firms will pay attention to your grades, but if you have exceptional extracurricular and experiences, that might also work and allow you to pass the application stage but it is worth contacting grad recruitment, at least you know and you do not waste your time!
Good luck with the application cycle @yasmars

Lopez2017

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 11, 2023
I agree with you, in these kind of questions it is important to specifically answer the question and the question does not ask about your experiences and the skills you have. It directly asks what skills you think an accomplished solicitor at Stephenson Harwood has. What I would do is focus on 2/3 skills and dive deeper into those without talking about you per se since the question does not ask about your skills. Having applied to the firm and passed the application stage I can tell you that it is important to showcase your experiences through the description of the professional experiences but also talking about them in other answers that allow you to talk about you more deeply. This question is kind of tricky and it seems as though they want you to talk about the skills you have, and consequently your experiences, but in my experience, they want you to mention skills they may have discussed on the website and relate them to your idea of a successful lawyer at the firm specifically!
I hope this helps and good luck again! @Lopez2017
Thank you this is very helpful. I've found where they mention this on their website and using that as my structure.
Great feedback, as always. Much appreciated.

Reactions: axelbeugre

Flavius Aurelius

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 23, 2022
I did the Linklaters WG test and fell in the 77th percentile despite getting 35/40 questions correct. Anyone have any idea what my chances of getting through are (my understanding is you have to be above 80% to have realistic chances)?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I did the Linklaters WG test and fell in the 77th percentile despite getting 35/40 questions correct. Anyone have any idea what my chances of getting through are (my understanding is you have to be above 80% to have realistic chances)?
It’s unlikely the benchmark would be that high - there are likely to be some downsides for the firm if they set the benchmark that high.

Reactions: Flavius Aurelius

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.