TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

mkt

Esteemed Member
Aug 6, 2023
Hey thanks for reading my awfully long post!

What I look for is
1.good variety of practice areas and a choice in picking seat options (Even if not guarantee)
2. International firm with possible international secondment
3. Approachable partners
4. Not having to fight for limited NQ position at the end of a TC
5. London based
6. Good career progression
7. working hours are not a huge deal to me as it comes with the job and it’s fulfilling to me

Is my criteria unrealistic?
You are describing HFW or Eversheds or SH

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks soo much.
would you say the others are a bit of a long shot?
Any firm that has a strict A-level criteria you don’t meet, then possibly. But nothing else should stop you with the other firms. If anything the biggest obstacle you will have is if you start the Bar course.

abnajj

Standard Member
Jul 15, 2023
Hi, @Jessica Booker (or others with experience/knowledge of this): if a firm has AAB A-level requirements and an applicant achieved ACC with mitigating circumstances + a 1st Class LL.B. would their candidacy still be accepted? For instance, Latham & Watkins is a firm I'd like to consider but have been cautious about this. I also understand there are other factors involved in the decision-making process but I would appreciate any insight (or anecdotal experiences with L&W from other candidates)!

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I am doing a practice test for SJT and I dont understand this situation and why this is the least effective response.
You are at a client meeting with your partner who doesn't know the answer to the question a client has. You've done the research so you know the answer but hasn't briefed this to the partner yet. The partner said he will get back to the client with the answer after reviewing the information in the meeting.
The least effective answer is that you pass a note to the partner with the information so they can remain in control. I thought the worst would be to speak up and answer the question with confidence.
Can anyone explain this
I think it is really hard to answer questions like this cause it truly depends on the nature and the values of the firm. That is why it is important to do these kind of tests with the a sheet of paper outlining the values of the firms so that you can answer accordingly to what a trainee would do there. One answer might be good for one firm but it might not work for another firm since the culture is different, so I would not necessarily focus on the actual right answer for you, but try to focus on what the values/objectives for a successful trainee at the firm are and reply accordingly. I know it is not the answer you were looking for but my experience with these kind of tests made me understand how it is all about what a lawyer at THAT firm specifically would and how it would be perceived. I hope that helps a bit!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi, @Jessica Booker (or others with experience/knowledge of this): if a firm has AAB A-level requirements and an applicant achieved ACC with mitigating circumstances + a 1st Class LL.B. would their candidacy still be accepted? For instance, Latham & Watkins is a firm I'd like to consider but have been cautious about this. I also understand there are other factors involved in the decision-making process but I would appreciate any insight (or anecdotal experiences with L&W from other candidates)!
Mitigating circumstances are definitely taken into account so I would not worry about this. As long as you are able to articulate very well how the former have impacted your grades, and highlight how you managed to graduate with a first class, I am sure they would appreciate that. However, if you are unsure about this I think you are better off asking graduate recruitment about this as they would be able to give you the most appropriate answer for the firm and how they would look at your situation. I would not worry too much and congratulations on your first class, you have achieved so much in your journey and you should be so proud of yourself for that! Good luck with everything! @abnajj

Reactions: abnajj

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi everyone! When answering the question 'Describe a current commercial issue that has interested you and explain why it interested you?', do you interpret this as having to discuss a commercial issue that is negative?
I personally have never made that assumption and I always tackled an commercial news that was interested to me and that resonated with me and the firm's excellence in a specific field. I think that as long as the piece of commercial news you want to talk about has these criteria than you are absolutely on the right path, despite of whether it is positive or negative. I hope that will be of help! @SR99

Reactions: SR99

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    Does anyone have an ideas for the DLA question "what do you anticipate will be the key challenges of the International Training Programme for you? How would you approach these challenges, and what resources or support do you believe you would need to overcome them"?

Should I pick 1-2 challenges to speak about in depth, alongside what i think i would need to help me overcome them?

dd13

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 8, 2022
    Hey all - not necessarily vac scheme related, I just want to wish everyone good luck in this cycle. It's a gruelling process with many ups and downs, but as long as you stay resilient you'll be successful in the end. Personally, I recently saw my TC (which I obtained after two cycles of applications) go up in flames due to factors outside my control. Through a lot of grind and a series of continuous interviews/assessments over the past month, I have now received offers from Macfarlanes and Baker McKenzie, and I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple more firms.

If you can find the strength to persevere in your lowest points, you'll achieve your goals. Stay hard ;)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If you have mitigating circumstances, I would expect any firm to look past grades. I can’t comment specifically for L&W, but if you are ever unsure, just ask the firm directly about their stance on this.

Reactions: abnajj

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone have an ideas for the DLA question "what do you anticipate will be the key challenges of the International Training Programme for you? How would you approach these challenges, and what resources or support do you believe you would need to overcome them"?

Should I pick 1-2 challenges to speak about in depth, alongside what i think i would need to help me overcome them?
    I would pick two given they have made reference to plural challenges throughout. I would make sure that all aspects of the question are covered for each point, so you may find it challenging to get everything in to the word count.

Reactions: NJS

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.