TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

IwantaVacSchemePlz

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 17, 2023
My portal also said under review and I got the email about an hour ago to say I didn't meet one of the benchmarks for the test - met everything else but came down to judgement error on which values they'd want me to prioritise. I took the test on Friday evening and heard today so depending on when you did it you'll probably hear soon <3
wait it stated which one you didn't pass?

Petallove1

Legendary Member
Feb 8, 2023
I am doing a practice test for SJT and I dont understand this situation and why this is the least effective response.
You are at a client meeting with your partner who doesn't know the answer to the question a client has. You've done the research so you know the answer but hasn't briefed this to the partner yet. The partner said he will get back to the client with the answer after reviewing the information in the meeting.
The least effective answer is that you pass a note to the partner with the information so they can remain in control. I thought the worst would be to speak up and answer the question with confidence.
Can anyone explain this
I think it's about undermining the partner? - I guess in context could come across as passive aggressive and doesn't necessarily show strong communication skills in terms of confidence with either partner or client

Petallove1

Legendary Member
Feb 8, 2023
wait it stated which one you didn't pass?
I'm assuming from the feedback report as all of my others said high performer apart from one which suggested I was lacking in that area. You don't get scores from the reasoning section though but safe to say even if I passed it wouldn't have got through based on the competency section!

spamelinazoid

Legendary Member
  • Dec 19, 2021
    My portal also said under review and I got the email about an hour ago to say I didn't meet one of the benchmarks for the test - met everything else but came down to judgement error on which values they'd want me to prioritise. I took the test on Friday evening and heard today so depending on when you did it you'll probably hear soon <3
    I took the test last night, but I thought I saw some people get automatic responses?

TheTCcommune

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 26, 2022
    I'm assuming from the feedback report as all of my others said high performer apart from one which suggested I was lacking in that area. You don't get scores from the reasoning section though but safe to say even if I passed it wouldn't have got through based on the competency section!
    do you get emailed the feedback report?

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2020
    This is for HSF isnt it?

It wasnt my first choice either, but I think it has to do with their values being ambition/excellence and having your own opinion?

Im a paralegal at a city int’l firm and any partner would be absolutely pissed if I or a trainee interrupted a client meeting to speak our mind. It makes much more sense to speak after the meeting and quickly email the client/set up a short call. In practice this is really bizarre and I’ve personally never seen it be encouraged (nor do I know any trainee or senior lawyer that would be comfortable going along with this)
    thank you for the insight. Thought I was just completely wrong

Reactions: spamelinazoid

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am doing a practice test for SJT and I dont understand this situation and why this is the least effective response.
    You are at a client meeting with your partner who doesn't know the answer to the question a client has. You've done the research so you know the answer but hasn't briefed this to the partner yet. The partner said he will get back to the client with the answer after reviewing the information in the meeting.
    The least effective answer is that you pass a note to the partner with the information so they can remain in control. I thought the worst would be to speak up and answer the question with confidence.
    Can anyone explain this
    You know the research - the partner doesn’t, so passing a note (which is a short comment that will lack detail or need significant reading) won’t be an effective way to get the message across.

spamelinazoid

Legendary Member
  • Dec 19, 2021
    You know the research - the partner doesn’t, so passing a note (which is a short comment that will lack detail or need significant reading) won’t be an effective way to get the message across.
    There was also an option on the list to explain your findings to the partner after the meeting and offer to draft an email for the client explaining your findings. From my personal experience that is what Partners seem to do when these situations occur, which they often do - why do you think HSF would assume that its better to present your findings in the meeting? At trainee level to me that seems risky and could cause an embarrassing situation for the trainee and create a bad impression on the client if anything is wrong (which it very possibly would be, as trainees are there to learn)

Reactions: Untilwinter

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Hey All,

Sorry for the lengthy post.

I have been watching this thread for a while so thought I’d ask for some advice if anyone has some.

I am applying to vacation schemes this year as a graduate, I got a 1st in my law Degree from a non Russell group but I did get a few 2:2 and 2:1 and didn’t get amazing A levels.
    I’m working fulltime in a graduate job right now but wondered if firms will even look at my application having had lower grades in some modules And A level. ( I have mitigating cirumstances for A levels not so module grades).

I have a scholarship to study the Bar course soon but I really want a training contract instead so I am focusing on Winter schemes but have put in for some training contract applications .
    I mostly want to do a winter scheme to get a feel of the firm rathee than jumping into their training contract.

Below are the schemes I hope to apply to/have already.

A&O - Missed deadline to complete tests
    HSF - Missed overall deadline
    Links - Pass Cap test with high scores but don’t do well on WG
    Simmonds - didn’t pass VI
    Clifford chance - WG completed but not heard back
    Slaughter and May - Application under review
    White and Case - Applied not heard back
    Travers Smith - Going to apply
    Covington - Strict on A levels so may not apply
    Jones & Day - Going to apply after opening evening and completed Forage
    NRF - Going to apply have just completed their forage (quite strict on A levels)

I feel I’ve applied to all great firms and I may not be realistic haha

are there any other firms I should look into or any advice others have for the ones I am yet to apply to! I want to stand out as much as I can but I feel like my grades will cloud everything else regardless of the 1st.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    There was also an option on the list to explain your findings to the partner after the meeting and offer to draft an email for the client explaining your findings. From my personal experience that is what Partners seem to do when these situations occur, which they often do - why do you think HSF would assume that it’s better to present your findings in the meeting? At trainee level to me that seems risky and could cause an embarrassing situation for the trainee and create a bad impression on the client if anything is wrong (which it very possibly would be, as trainees are there to learn)
    The wording of the scenario is clear - you know the answer. It doesn’t say “you think you know the answer” it says “you know the answer” and therefore you aren’t going to be “wrong”.

You are also getting too caught up in the detail not presented in the answer and assumptions of the worst case scenario. You are making an assumption that any approach to this would make the partner look bad - reality is that it would make the firm look good - it trains it trainees well enough that they know the detail.

The question is asking you for the most effective approach and the most effective approach is to give the client the answer in the meeting rather than following up afterwards, which requires more time from both your and the client’s perspective (all your time is chargeable - it’s wasted time following up on an answer you are not going to charge the client for, when you could charge it out to someone else). As mentioned above, this approach also fits HSF’s values - it wouldn’t necessarily be the right approach for other firms (like those mentioned by other posters where the partner would be horrified if you took this approach).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey All,

Sorry for the lengthy post.

I have been watching this thread for a while so thought I’d ask for some advice if anyone has some.

I am applying to vacation schemes this year as a graduate, I got a 1st in my law Degree from a non Russell group but I did get a few 2:2 and 2:1 and didn’t get amazing A levels.
    I’m working fulltime in a graduate job right now but wondered if firms will even look at my application having had lower grades in some modules And A level. ( I have mitigating cirumstances for A levels not so module grades).

I have a scholarship to study the Bar course soon but I really want a training contract instead so I am focusing on Winter schemes but have put in for some training contract applications .
    I mostly want to do a winter scheme to get a feel of the firm rathee than jumping into their training contract.

Below are the schemes I hope to apply to/have already.

A&O - Missed deadline to complete tests
    HSF - Missed overall deadline
    Links - Pass Cap test with high scores but don’t do well on WG
    Simmonds - didn’t pass VI
    Clifford chance - WG completed but not heard back
    Slaughter and May - Application under review
    White and Case - Applied not heard back
    Travers Smith - Going to apply
    Covington - Strict on A levels so may not apply
    Jones & Day - Going to apply after opening evening and completed Forage
    NRF - Going to apply have just completed their forage (quite strict on A levels)

I feel I’ve applied to all great firms and I may not be realistic haha

are there any other firms I should look into or any advice others have for the ones I am yet to apply to! I want to stand out as much as I can but I feel like my grades will cloud everything else regardless of the 1st.
    What’s your criteria when you are looking at firms?

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    What’s your criteria when you are looking at firms?
    Hey thanks for reading my awfully long post!

What I look for is
    1.good variety of practice areas and a choice in picking seat options (Even if not guarantee)
    2. International firm with possible international secondment
    3. Approachable partners
    4. Not having to fight for limited NQ position at the end of a TC
    5. London based
    6. Good career progression
    7. working hours are not a huge deal to me as it comes with the job and it’s fulfilling to me

Is my criteria unrealistic?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.