TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Minitomatosalad

Distinguished Member
Sep 14, 2023
So HSF's PFO email reads: "As I am sure you know, the competition for places is intense. There are many more high calibre applicants than we can accommodate and you should not be unduly discouraged."

Surely this is a bad typo from them, and it was meant to read as "can't accommodate", Instead of "can accommodate" otherwise this just comes across as quite insulting to outright tell applicants they aren't a good enough calibre.
no typo. It says that they get more people applying than they can handle (aka accommodate). It’s grammatically and logically correct and not an insult :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
So HSF's PFO email reads: "As I am sure you know, the competition for places is intense. There are many more high calibre applicants than we can accommodate and you should not be unduly discouraged."

Surely this is a bad typo from them, and it was meant to read as "can't accommodate", Instead of "can accommodate" otherwise this just comes across as quite insulting to outright tell applicants they aren't a good enough calibre lol
definitely not a typo - the sentence would not make sense as “can’t” because of the than in the sentence.

I read it that they are insinuating you are one of the too many high calibre applicants.

Minitomatosalad

Distinguished Member
Sep 14, 2023
hi peeps

so for the 'why me' section of a cover letter - what exactly do they want to know? Do I write about my work experience -
ie for job X found creative ways to teach the alphabet and then apply how that would make me a good solicitor?
or is it awards and prizes I won?
i find this part especially cringe

Reactions: axelbeugre

cwan

Oct 13, 2023
Hi, I've been scrolling through the thread but can't find anything about online assessments (especially for Macfarlanes)
What kind of questions do they ask and is there any way for me to practice? Thank you and congrats to anyone with big or small wins! I'm routing for all of us.

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2023
Hi, I've been scrolling through the thread but can't find anything about online assessments (especially for Macfarlanes)
What kind of questions do they ask and is there any way for me to practice? Thank you and congrats to anyone with big or small wins! I'm routing for all of us.
They have only added the assessment this year so we won't know.

Reactions: Tintin06

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.