TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

yasmars

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
For anyone applying/has applied to Hogan Lovells:

In the application form they ask to detail any events/open days you have been to, however, they also ask this in the work experience section. Should I just detail the events twice, or add more information in the work experience section? I want to avoid repeating myself.

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
any advice for staying motivated during this application cycle? this is my third application cycle, and while I have gone past written application stage for my previous application cycles, I can't seem to succeed past the AC stage...any advice for staying motivated and positive during the vac scheme/ tc application cycles
Celebrate the small wins, I'd say.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
any advice for staying motivated during this application cycle? this is my third application cycle, and while I have gone past written application stage for my previous application cycles, I can't seem to succeed past the AC stage...any advice for staying motivated and positive during the vac scheme/ tc application cycles
hey @claudsc05, It can be difficult to stay motivated during the cycle of applying to law firms, but it's crucial to keep your attention and passion up. Here are some pointers to keep your motivation high:
  • Set Clear Goals: Define your long-term and short-term goals. Knowing what you want to achieve will help you stay motivated throughout the application process. Always have your goals in front of you as they will motivate you daily!
  • Break It Down: The application process can be overwhelming. Break it into smaller, manageable tasks. This makes the process feel less daunting and more achievable.
  • Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and developments in the legal industry. This will not only help you during interviews but also keep your motivation high by showing you the real-world relevance of your efforts.
  • Increase your Network: Connect with current lawyers, law school alumni, and other law students. Networking can provide insights, support, and motivation. They can also offer guidance on the application process.
  • Seek Feedback: If you face rejection, don't be discouraged. Instead, view it as an opportunity to learn and improve. Request feedback on your applications and interviews to help you grow and refine your approach.
  • Stay Healthy: Ensure you're taking care of your physical and mental health. Regular exercise, a balanced diet, and enough sleep will help you stay energized and focused.
  • Mindset Matters: Cultivate a positive mindset. Visualization techniques, affirmations, and mindfulness can help you stay optimistic and motivated.
  • Celebrate Small Wins: Acknowledge your accomplishments, no matter how small. Celebrate each successful application submission or interview, as this will boost your morale.
  • Stay Flexible: Be prepared to adjust your approach if needed. Sometimes the initial strategy may need tweaking to improve your chances.
  • Stay Persistent: The application process can be lengthy and competitive. Keep in mind that rejection is part of the journey. Stay persistent and keep applying to different firms.
  • Stay Informed About the Firms: Research the law firms thoroughly to make sure they align with your values, goals, and career aspirations. This will help maintain your motivation because you're pursuing something meaningful to you.
  • Find a Support System: Share your goals and progress with friends and family. Having a support system can provide emotional support and encouragement.
  • Stay In Touch with Your Passion: Remind yourself why you wanted to become a lawyer in the first place. Reconnect with your passion for the law to keep your motivation alive.
Keep in mind that while motivation may fluctuate, your commitment and discipline will help you get through the law firm application process. Keep your eyes on your objectives and the long-term advantages of accomplishing them. I wish you nothing but good luck with the application process this year and always believe in your dream!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For anyone applying/has applied to Hogan Lovells:

In the application form they ask to detail any events/open days you have been to, however, they also ask this in the work experience section. Should I just detail the events twice, or add more information in the work experience section? I want to avoid repeating myself.
I personally wouldn’t repeat this information - to me events are definitely not work experience. Open days can be, so if you wanted to separate them out that way, you could.

Reactions: yasmars

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Has anyone ever had any experience with moving a vacation scheme (e.g. you get offered a spring one, but move it to summer?) I am trying to strategize my applications around the (unlikely) event that I have multiple offers.
It can happen, but at the same time firms may just push you to a direct TC process instead or push you to accept their offer over another firm’s.

Reactions: prospectiveswitcher

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Has anyone ever had any experience with moving a vacation scheme (e.g. you get offered a spring one, but move it to summer?) I am trying to strategize my applications around the (unlikely) event that I have multiple offers.
Yes, and it is totally possible to do that, I think that some firms are more flexible than others but from my personal experience, it is quite straightforward and fairly easy so I would not worry too much! Good luck with the cycle!! @prospectiveswitcher

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Is it too late to apply to wc wvs?? Its rolling and deadline is tomorrow. Ive been rejected last year at their vi stage and am struggling to improve my app from last year
I would say that the day before the deadline is a bit risky but since you passed the application stage last year maybe you know how to impress them again this time around. I would say to make a personal judgment around the situation and think if it is worth applying for the winter scheme if you are able to attend the spring or the summer one. I am sure it will work out so good luck with it!

Reactions: Jessica Booker
I would say that the day before the deadline is a bit risky but since you passed the application stage last year maybe you know how to impress them again this time around. I would say to make a personal judgment around the situation and think if it is worth applying for the winter scheme if you are able to attend the spring or the summer one. I am sure it will work out so good luck with it!
I applied on the deadline day last year and made it to the final interview but i personally think you should allocate yourself as much time as possible.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.