TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Minitomatosalad

Distinguished Member
Sep 14, 2023
I had a conversation with them, but they didn't provide a definitive answer. From our discussion, it seems they may not have available space for the 2025 TC, and those who met their WGT benchmark are currently on a waiting list due to the fact that many prospective trainees are not passing the SQE exams.
Does that mean if someone doesn’t pass the SQE exams, they loose their TC? Are SQE resits not allowed as a TC condition?

Minitomatosalad

Distinguished Member
Sep 14, 2023
Depends on the firm. Some firms will be harsher than others but, yeah, it is very much possible for one to have their TC rescinded for this reason.
Is that something a US firm is more likely to do like Sidley that place a lot of emphasis on grades or does it more depend on how much they like the candidate to give them a second chance?
Also wouldn’t it have to be part of the TC employment contract terms so the candidate would at least know about the consequences beforehand?

trainingcontract

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 17, 2023
For those that have completed the A&O SJT and 2 VI questions, I understand that you have unlimited time (as long as you submit before deadline) to prep for the question before the 2-min question answering window. My question is whether you get to see both your questions ahead of answering, or if you get the second prompt after submitting your first recorded response? Thanks!

Minitomatosalad

Distinguished Member
Sep 14, 2023
For those that have completed the A&O SJT and 2 VI questions, I understand that you have unlimited time (as long as you submit before deadline) to prep for the question before the 2-min question answering window. My question is whether you get to see both your questions ahead of answering, or if you get the second prompt after submitting your first recorded response? Thanks!
You only see one q at a time

Reactions: trainingcontract

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does that mean if someone doesn’t pass the SQE exams, they loose their TC? Are SQE resits not allowed as a TC condition?
Depends on the firm’s policy. Some firms are allowing resits (usually only once though) while others do have a term in the offer that you have to pass on first sitting. Many firms used to have this for the LPC too though.

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 8, 2019
Is that something a US firm is more likely to do like Sidley that place a lot of emphasis on grades or does it more depend on how much they like the candidate to give them a second chance?
Also wouldn’t it have to be part of the TC employment contract terms so the candidate would at least know about the consequences beforehand?
Its firm dependant like the previous person said. Would be best to enquire with the firm. Some firms will be harsher than others and its usually one re-sit. So the reason HL is putting people on a waitlist (if that's really the case) is to see whether the re-sitters fail which would open up space currently not available. (My theory anyway). But generally speaking from what I've seen so far for candidates not passing the SQE exams their start dates have been simply deferred. And re your last point, candidates definitely know of the consequences, if any, it's part of the contract

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023

jlee01

Oct 26, 2023
hi, i would like to ask if it would be an issue that i have not disclosed any information on failing the first sqe1 attempt on my application. if I were lucky enough to secure a tc/vs offer in which they do not allow sqe resits, would they revoke the offer?

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.