TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
No idea why firms wait so long to give out rejections.
Trainees, other VS candidates who they're not rejecting etc to deal with I guess. Some firms really do make an effort to offer useful content for applicants, and it's especially helpful if like me you've failed more times than you can remember. Look up Shearman & Sterling's YouTube videos, specifically the essential skills you'll need as a Trainee Solicitor. I adopt a 'Description' 'Skill one', 'Skill two' approach to discussing all work experience, and would not be able to do this without Paul Gascoyne's Whiteboard Wednesday on the topic of '10 skills you'll need as a trainee solicitor'. Sorry to hear you've been rejected. I got basically nowhere in 2019-20, and the lack of feedback really doesn't help. That said, if you use LinkedIn and stalk people from your uni at the firms you can probably ask them to review your application. Not that I'm condoning stalking, ofc!

Also FYI to the Sidley Austin PFO brigade, if it's any consolation, you should know some of us aren't even eligible to apply!

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Hey @bella98, thank you so much for sharing your experience, I am sure many others are experiencing the same thing and it is nice to comforting to see that we are not the only ones going through a particular situation.
    Firstly, I wanted to say congratulations for getting an AC from HSF. This is such an amazing achievement and not many people can say to have received it, so you should be so proud of yourself. I know it is easier said than done but being able to recognise how far we have come in the process is the first step to recognise our strengths as well as possibilities of success in the legal industry. Even me, I have a TC now but I have applied to 20+ firms before being successful obtaining vacation scheme offers last year. So never abandon your dream.

I totally sympathise with the fact that you might be feeling defeated after multiple attempts but I am assuring you that you will be successful, the game only requires you to be tenacious, patience, and always persevere. Unfortunately dreams do not come easy and only through hard work, a lot of luck, and a lot of perseverance you will be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I really hope that these words give you some motivation and strength to keep going and keep believing in your dreams.

I genuinely do not know how to answer your concerns regarding the disparities in educational background and successes during AC, but what I can say is that as much as comparison allows you to be inspired by others, I would not look at other people's successes and comparing them to your struggles. People work hard irrespective of their education backgrounds and as a non-law student myself I can only say that a lot of work went into just understanding legal terminology that I was not used to, but majority of people succeeding in this business are still law students so do not worry too much about this and just believe in yourself, your abilities and your amazing educational credentials! I am confident that sooner rather than later you will be successful!

In terms of succeeding at an AC, I understand that ACs can be quite daunting and challenging, and sometimes the outcome does not even really depend on you and your performance, sometimes you do not get the offer because you just do not fit with the firm's culture, and that is okay! What I would suggest is to try and work on your personal skills as well as your knowledge about the legal sector as well as the business sectors and keep practicing with your friends and family.

Some practical tips:
    1. Research the firm:
      • Thoroughly research the law firm, its practice areas, culture, and recent cases. This will show your genuine interest in the firm and its work. Use websites like Chambers Student, the firm's website, legal500, the Lawyer, Financial Times and try to understand the implications of commercial news on the legal sector.
    2. Understand the assessment format:
      • Learn about the specific assessments you'll face, whether it's written exercises, group discussions, interviews, or case studies. Understanding the format can help you prepare effectively. In order to do this, talk to people at the firm and understand their experiences during the AC and what you can learn from them.
    3. Communication skills:
      • Strong communication skills are essential. Practice your speaking and writing skills, as well as your ability to express complex legal concepts clearly and concisely. You can practice this with friends and family as I said before, this is what I used to do last year and it helped me massively!
    4. Teamwork:
      • Be a team player during group exercises. Listen actively, contribute thoughtfully, and respect the opinions of others. Demonstrating collaboration skills is crucial in a law firm setting. It is not only about what you say but also how you contribute to the overall team and if you manage to make everyone feel comfortable, so focus on this aspect as well, which can be sometimes forgotten!
    5. Time management:
      • Assessments often have tight deadlines. Practice time management to ensure you complete tasks within the allocated time while maintaining high quality.
    6. Attention to detail:
      • Legal work requires precision. Pay attention to details in all written exercises, contracts, and case study analyses to avoid errors.
    I really hope you do not give up and you keep believing in your dream because I am sure you are meant to do everything you want! Congratulations again on obtaining the AC and on your amazing education credentials and make the most of all your strengths! Good luck with the cycle!

Hello,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an encouraging message. It truly means a lot to hear from someone who understands the ups and downs of this journey and who has come out on the other side with a TC.
    I completely agree that each person's journey is unique and shouldn't be measured against anyone else's! Thank you once again for all the tips.

P.S. It's great to meet a fellow Italian! It adds another layer of admiration to see someone from a similar educational background achieving such success in this competitive process.
    Thank you once again for your kind words and encouragement. Wishing you all the best in your legal journey!

ayek

Oct 11, 2023
    would it be safe to assume that dla piper would prefer cvs in one page instead of two, given their application questions are relatively shorter than other firms (200 words each)?
    My CV was 2 pages and I’ve received an invite for VI. I think you’re good, but if you’re worried about it maybe keep your education/relevant work experience (whichever is most impressive) on the main page?

• 🏆
    Reactions: axelbeugre and HLL

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.