TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Btw, just wanted to give my 3 cents on vac scheme applications. The recruitment process for HK Vac schemes operate similarly, so hopefully it will be of some help.

I applied for 15 firms last year, and guess what? I got PFOs for all of them. I was really doubting my personal ability back then, but the idea that I had 15 PFOs and all my other friends who got vac scheme offers just fuelled me even more to find out what I was lacking.

1. Cover Letter: Show yourself!
Looking back, one of the first things I noticed was how bad my cover letters were. I couldn’t showcase myself in any of them. I was basically repeating what I had on my CV, and I couldn’t link it back to the firm. So this time around, I focused on my personal experiences. I drew my experiences abroad and where I lived, and connected to why I wanted a career in commercial law. Similarly, I drew upon my volunteering experiences, my experience as an athlete in high school etc and linked them back to the firm, saying how its training style or work culture would benefit me/be a good fit for them. This way, I can weave in my personal qualities and talk about the firm, without needing a separate paragraph talking about myself.

Oh btw, never, ever use ChatGPT or any AI bot to write your cover letters.

2. Quality of Quantity
People think that more applications = more chances of success. Well you can look at me and basically tell it’s not the case. Last year, I didn’t attend open days or any career events, thinking my grades alone were sufficient. Boy was I wrong. As part of researching the firm, these carer events are super important if you want to learn more about the firm, so always try to go to them, even though you personally aren’t really interested in the firm. You probably won’t get the Managing Partner or GR to remember you, but the info you get out of it is extremely valuable. I think partially why I got an offer was that I drew upon what they talked about in the career talk, especially their work and why I was interested in pursuing a career in this line of work (private equity, regulatory etc). If you’re doing this already, you’re halfway there so don’t worry.

3. Review, Review, Review
Always review sections of your application that requires you to type it out. Always try to have a word document dedicated for this since you can check your grammar and spelling beforehand. My CC application was littered with grammar and spelling mistakes in my 1st cycle, so that’s probably the main reason why I got PFOed. If you want to, you can definitely have someone proof read for you, just in case you miss anything. This rule of thumb also goes to your cover letter. Read it out loud, or have someone read it for you. Always nice to get a 2nd opinion.

4. Read the news
This is often the most overlooked aspect of vac scheme applications, but this is how you truly build commercial awareness. If you’re finding it very difficult to understand some of the more technical terms, that’s fine. Here’s how you can dice it up into smaller, more consumable chunks. I found it way easier to understand market info than just reading through the whole thing without understanding what was going on half the time.

First, I created a word doc just for commercial news. I then looked at the firm’s business and clients and go onto the news to see if any deals/ practices coincided with market developments. In my case, I chose to read up on private equity and IPOs in Japan. Whenever I came up with a term I didn’t know on the news, I highlighted it, and searched it up. I then had a section dedicated to explaining this term, like a glossary. My explanation for the term would be easy for me to understand, and slowly, I understood what was going on. It doesn’t even need to be a technical commercial term: it can be any term you don’t understand!

This system really helped me expand my commercial awareness, at least in a sense why businesses were making those decisions. I credit this worksheet that I made to being able to successfully get through the interview process, since the partner and I got on a very nice chat about the Japanese market by the end of the interview.

5. Don’t be arrogant - Reflect on yourself
It’s always tempting to think that because I go to law school, and I got a 70 something in a module, or an A for that assignment, I must be the best. Well actually, no you’re not. I used to be that kind of guy, but the 1st cycle of my application process really humbled me and made me reflect on my weaknesses. It made me work harder and focus on myself, rather than comparing myself to others. Getting good grades only gets you so far. I know this guy from law school who is by far the most hard working person I’ve known, but he was super arrogant and aggressive to everyone. He loves talking about himself on the law group chat, and it was not a surprise when he complained that he didn’t get any offers for vac schemes. A hardworking and positive attitude is something firms want to see, and the application process goes beyond who gets better grades.

If you don’t get any offers this cycle, that’s totally fine as well! A rejection is another opportunity to reflect and learn. You don’t always get it right at first, just like law firms don’t expect trainees to get it right at first too! 15 PFOs certainly was not fun, but here I am now! After reflecting on my mistakes and on things I didn’t do well, I certainly grew a lot as a law student and as a person. The lessons you learnt will be reflected in your next cycle, and you’ll definitely improve if you keep reflecting on yourself!

Hope this helps! And like my contract law professor says all the time to us: Per Ardua Ad Astra!
Thank you so much for this @Flanker01, this is so helpful and you will help so many with these tips, thank you again and good luck with your journey!

• 🏆
Reactions: Flanker01

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi guys, got a general question about answering the " why this firm answer"

Is it helpful to talk about some of modules you have studied as law student, and link that to why you are interested in certain areas that a law firm specialices in. I do understand that there is a huge difference between studying law at uni and actually working in a legal field, but i think it could be used to show a gerneral understanding of a particular sector (to be backed up with evidence of further research).

@Jessica Booker
Hey @F AJMI, I think that it is something that many law students do so it is not frowned upon, however it is overly used, and I feel like it will not allow you to distinguish from other candidates. This is my personal opinion of course.

I feel like it is fine to mention a subject you have studied, but I would not mention it as the only reason why you developed an interest into a specific practice area that the firm offers. I would stress how also other factors, such as a personal anecdote or an experience you had allowed you to see how useful that practice area can be in the future for many people/clients etc. This way, you will attract the attention of whoever is reading thousands of applications from law students who are probably mentioning that same module and you also have something to talk about during your interview if they were to ask you something around what you have said.

For example, when I was applying to Gibson Dunn last year, I stressed the importance of the litigation department, which was what attracted me to the firm. Rather than linking this to an online course I had done around litigation and arbitration, which would have probably been easier to do for me, I linked it to an experience I had at an EU institution which exposed me to litigation procedures which I found fascinating at the time. This sparked the interest of graduate recruitment, which was very interested in hearing my experience. And it worked out perfectly for me!

I hope my suggestions are helpful and good luck with the application cycle!

Reactions: Jaysen

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
How recent should a 'recent situation where you faced a challenge or problem' be? I'm thinking of an example from 2019 - Is this too long ago to be recent?

(@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre)
I agree with @Jessica Booker here, finding something that is within the 12 months frame would probably be the best thing to do. I would say to keep the example you were thinking of discussing as it might be helpful during an interview or an AC. Good luck with the cycle!

F12M34L

Legendary Member
  • Apr 28, 2022
    I have some questions for anyone who has completed the DLA application. I'm a bit confused about their application process. Can you confirm if you need to attach a CV and a cover letter, and then answer three questions?

Additionally, I'm wondering if the WGT is automatically included, and if there's no specific deadline for their application. If everyone is receiving VI/AC invites, is it too late for me to apply?

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi @S87, what I would suggest is:
    • Talk about your experiences, your positions of responsibility and an achievement you are proud of in an exhaustive way and that showcase that you are an excellent candidate, not only academically, but also socially and professionally. Feel free to mention the skills you have gained from these experiences and how they would make you a successful lawyer.
    • Once you managed to do this, then I would link the skills you have gained that will make you a successful lawyer to the firm and how they will benefit you during the training contract at the firm. This can be done through looking at the firm's website and see what are the skills and values the firm appreciates. Additionally, I would also link my background and the skills developed to any opportunities which the firm offers. For instance, when I applied last year I talked about my international experiences and my languages ability and emphasised how those would allow me to excel on an international secondment offered by the firm during the training contract. I hope this example makes you see what kind of connection it will be useful for you to make between your experiences and what the firm as to offer, stressing how these will make you excel as a Clifford Chance lawyer.
    I hope I was useful in some way and good luck with the application process!
    Thank you so much @axelbeugre

Reactions: axelbeugre

Zi48

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 1, 2022
    I have some questions for anyone who has completed the DLA application. I'm a bit confused about their application process. Can you confirm if you need to attach a CV and a cover letter, and then answer three questions?

Additionally, I'm wondering if the WGT is automatically included, and if there's no specific deadline for their application. If everyone is receiving VI/AC invites, is it too late for me to apply?
    You have to upload a CV, no cover letter and I only remember 2 questions, why DLA and challenges on the training programme.

They keep posting on their insta stories that applications are open so seems like they still want people to apply, don’t think it’s too late, feel like they’d just close the applications if they had enough

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Thank you for your tips! That's really helpful for me.

Also do you have any tips when applying for US law firm? Like how should I address my interest in applying them instead of UK law firm? Could I talk about the salary etc?

@axelbeugre
    I think the approach is very much similar to the one you are used to for UK law firms. The only difference I personally noticed, and which i appreciated, was that I felt more comfortable talking about personal anecdotes that could explain why I was interested in commercial law in the first place. I think that US firms seem to be more open in reading people's journeys that brought them to where they are, and not too focused on how much you know about a particular area of law or business (even though you still have to be ready to answer technical questions nonetheless!).

So I would just recommend to be yourself throughout the process, either in your cover letter/application answers. Be genuine when it comes to answering the questions and really express your reasonings and intentions behind your choices and background.

Something I would stress though is do your thorough research and try to know as much as you can about the firm, even things that people might not know. This will work wonderfully for you. For instance, for my Gibson Dunn vacation scheme interview I watched a video on youtube (which was not on the official page of the firm not it was advertised to be a video about Gibson Dunn) I think it was a law event online where some trainees from the firm were talking about their experiences. One of them mentioned something she was able to do with the firm and I used that as a reason why I was very interested in the firm, and I remember graduate recruitment being very surprised cause nobody ever knew or mentioned that before. So, I would stress to be thorough when it comes to researching the firms you are interested in!

Good luck with the applications!

Reactions: Tintin06

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    I have a question for a 2Birds application.
    One of the questions is: What attracts you to a Trainee Solicitor role at Bird & Bird? What is motivating you to pursue a career at Bird & Bird? (300 words)

Shall I follow the usual - (i) why commercial law; (ii) why Bird&Bird; (iii) why me?
    Or, is this question particularly asking why I am interested in Bird&Bird?
    I think @ Jessica Booker gave you valid advice here, I think you should just focus on your motivations as to why you want to join the firm, highlighting the strengths of their training contract and why it is valuable to you. Additionally, link these reasons to your experiences and to you and I think you will be writing a really good application.

These kind of questions do not need the structure you mentioned as they are asking specifically why the firm, so try to specifically answer what the question is asking. That structure works well for cover letter or personal statement in my opinion!

Good luck with it!! @Lopez2017

emilyding

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 6, 2023
    I would avoid salary for any firm. It may be a reason for applying but it isn’t going to be something that actually makes you enjoy the work that you do, and salaries can be similar across US firms, so you are not really explaining why specifically that firm, just high paying US firms more broadly.
    I think the approach is very much similar to the one you are used to for UK law firms. The only difference I personally noticed, and which i appreciated, was that I felt more comfortable talking about personal anecdotes that could explain why I was interested in commercial law in the first place. I think that US firms seem to be more open in reading people's journeys that brought them to where they are, and not too focused on how much you know about a particular area of law or business (even though you still have to be ready to answer technical questions nonetheless!).

So I would just recommend to be yourself throughout the process, either in your cover letter/application answers. Be genuine when it comes to answering the questions and really express your reasonings and intentions behind your choices and background.

Something I would stress though is do your thorough research and try to know as much as you can about the firm, even things that people might not know. This will work wonderfully for you. For instance, for my Gibson Dunn vacation scheme interview I watched a video on youtube (which was not on the official page of the firm not it was advertised to be a video about Gibson Dunn) I think it was a law event online where some trainees from the firm were talking about their experiences. One of them mentioned something she was able to do with the firm and I used that as a reason why I was very interested in the firm, and I remember graduate recruitment being very surprised cause nobody ever knew or mentioned that before. So, I would stress to be thorough when it comes to researching the firms you are interested in!

Good luck with the applications!
    Thank you Jessica and Axel!

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Thank you @Jessica Booker, really reassuring. Do you recommend that I also include why I am interested in Bird & Bird beyond the training contract (e.g., their expertise in IP & AI) - answering the second question a little more?
    Yes, definitely touch upon these, all the aspects of the question need to be addressed so you would need to discuss these as well! Make sure you also link them back to why these are interesting to you specifically!

Good luck!

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Application Update - Last posted 17/10/23

Bank of England Trainee solicitor programme - Completed online tests
    White and Case WVS- Application sent
    Hogan Lovell TC- Application sent
    Hogan Lovell Lift off - WG Complete
    NRF WVS - Application sent (No test received assuming PFO)
    Stephenson Harwood WVS - Application sent
    Cleary Gottlieb WVS - Application sent
    Travers Smith WVS -Application sent
    Gowling TC - Application sent
    Mayer Brown TC - Application Sent
    CMS TC - WG invite (to be completed)
    A&O TC - Application Sent (test and Vi to be completed)

PFO Heaven
    Sidley - PFO
    Jones Day - PFO
    Slaughter and May TC - PFO
    Linklaters - Failed WG - PFO
    Simmons - Failed VI - PFO
    Clifford chance TC - Failed WG - PFO

Pending Applications
    Mischon De Reya SVS - Application Pending
    HSF SVS - Application Pending
    Freshfields - Application pending

I am not applying to any Summer Vacation schemes online winter, possibly Spring and Direct TC.
    Has anyone done of the firms above and have progressed further than I have and when did you apply?

Not feeling very hopeful at all!

Last edited:
    Reactions: HLL and Sharon Wu

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.