Winston & Strawn?
Morgan Lewis?
Fried Frank?
Orrick ✅
Dechert ✅
Cooley ✅
Morrison Foerster ✅
Slaughter and May ✅❌

Key: ✅ = applied, ❌ = pfo, 📼 = VI, 📝 = test.
Was your Slaughter and May for vacation scheme?

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    how are recorded vi generally judged? im overthinking a vi I just did and it defo wasnt my best but I was able to answer all the qs. I was a lil bit nervous so I was speaking a bit faster than usual so im just wondering if anyone with a successful experience is able to guide me as to what grad rec is really looking for? thank you (:)

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 23, 2023
    Is WG from Clifford Chance automatic? I applied to their open day which requires the submission of the WG test.

For anyone interested, I received the WG from NRF a couple of weeks ago. Never received the Arctic Shores email even though I was told I would receive one in the email. I emailed the grad rec team but never got a reply.

Lopez2017

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 11, 2023
    I have a question for a 2Birds application.
    One of the questions is: What attracts you to a Trainee Solicitor role at Bird & Bird? What is motivating you to pursue a career at Bird & Bird? (300 words)

Shall I follow the usual - (i) why commercial law; (ii) why Bird&Bird; (iii) why me?
    Or, is this question particularly asking why I am interested in Bird&Bird?

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have a question for a 2Birds application.
    One of the questions is: What attracts you to a Trainee Solicitor role at Bird & Bird? What is motivating you to pursue a career at Bird & Bird? (300 words)

Shall I follow the usual - (i) why commercial law; (ii) why Bird&Bird; (iii) why me?
    Or, is this question particularly asking why I am interested in Bird&Bird?
    This does not need the “why me” part as it’s not asking you for this. This is purely about motivation rather than capability.

I would also consider covering why the training contract opportunity rather than why commercial law more generally as the question is asking you to specifically cover why a trainee opportunity at the firm is something that is right for you.

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    Is WG from Clifford Chance automatic? I applied to their open day which requires the submission of the WG test.

For anyone interested, I received the WG from NRF a couple of weeks ago. Never received the Arctic Shores email even though I was told I would receive one in the email. I emailed the grad rec team but never got a reply.
    yep CC WG automatic

Lopez2017

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 11, 2023
    This does not need the “why me” part as it’s not asking you for this. This is purely about motivation rather than capability.

I would also consider covering why the training contract opportunity rather than why commercial law more generally as the question is asking you to specifically cover why a trainee opportunity at the firm is something that is right for you.
    Thank you @Jessica Booker, really reassuring. Do you recommend that I also include why I am interested in Bird & Bird beyond the training contract (e.g., their expertise in IP & AI) - answering the second question a little more?

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi everyone and @axelbeugre I was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to tackle the below question for DLA Piper's application please? I am struggling in exactly what it is asking me for and especially the latter part of the question as it doesn't seem I can tailor it specifically to DLA Piper and I don't want to sound generic. How do I structure it that I answer it well. Any tips would be much appreciated thank you in advance.

If successful in securing a training contract after the Summer Internship, what do you anticipate will be the key challenges of the International Training Programme for you? How would you approach these challenges, and what resources or support do you believe you would need to overcome them? (Max 200 words/1,500 Characters)
    Hey @kr, here some tips:
    1. Since the word count is very low, I would stick to a 2 key points structure. This way you will be able to go more in-depth with tackling the different parts of the question. If you pick more challenges to talk about, you risk not to answer the entire question.
    2. Make sure to pick challenges that are not too specific, keep them very generic and make sure to stress how you would overcome them and what could help you overcome them. I am saying this as if, for instance, you pick attention to detail, which is a key trait to have as a trainee, you can see how that might work against you. On the other hand, if you choose difficulty to adapt to different work streams, this would be a relatable challenge that you will be easily able to overcome with experience. Being a bit generic in these kind of answers help so that you are not shooting yourself in the foot by choosing something that might worry graduate recruitment.
    3. When discussing resources or support you believe would help you to overcome the challenges you decide to mention, this is where you can showcase your knowledge of the firm and make it more specific to DLA Piper specifically. I would look at the firm's opportunities and programs, peer support and everything that might be helpful to talk about. This will ensure that your answer is as specific to the firm as possible. When I was applying to DLA Piper last year, I remember talking about being scared of not being able to fit in as a challenge (again a bit generic) and I linked it to the diversity groups that the firm has and the goals the firm had to enhance diversity in the office and that worked well so I would recommend following something along those lines.
    I hope these are helpful and good luck with the application!

Reactions: Jaysen, kr and NJS

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi guys, I am currently applying to Clifford Chance and I was wondering if I could have your opinion on how to approach the question.

"In no more than 500 words, please tell us about your extra-curricular activities, positions of responsibility and an achievement of importance which you are most proud of. How will these experiences help you excel as a Clifford Chance lawyer?"

Do you think I should only explain the skills I developed or I should link them to the firm's practice areas/ activities?
    @Jessica Booker and @axelbeugre would love your feedback too.

Thank you in advance.
    Hi @S87, what I would suggest is:
    • Talk about your experiences, your positions of responsibility and an achievement you are proud of in an exhaustive way and that showcase that you are an excellent candidate, not only academically, but also socially and professionally. Feel free to mention the skills you have gained from these experiences and how they would make you a successful lawyer.
    • Once you managed to do this, then I would link the skills you have gained that will make you a successful lawyer to the firm and how they will benefit you during the training contract at the firm. This can be done through looking at the firm's website and see what are the skills and values the firm appreciates. Additionally, I would also link my background and the skills developed to any opportunities which the firm offers. For instance, when I applied last year I talked about my international experiences and my languages ability and emphasised how those would allow me to excel on an international secondment offered by the firm during the training contract. I hope this example makes you see what kind of connection it will be useful for you to make between your experiences and what the firm as to offer, stressing how these will make you excel as a Clifford Chance lawyer.
    I hope I was useful in some way and good luck with the application process!

Reactions: Lexiwww

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you @Jessica Booker, really reassuring. Do you recommend that I also include why I am interested in Bird & Bird beyond the training contract (e.g., their expertise in IP & AI) - answering the second question a little more?
    Yes - I would focus your answer on why the opportunity (the TC) and why the firm (work, culture, or the environment).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.