TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

dd13

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jan 8, 2022
    How many internationals coming from unis from the outside of the UK have actually seen success in securing a TC? Are the odds really as stacked against us as people say? I cannot seem to get past the application stage and although it can, as anything, use some work, I really dont know if my profile and grades are the only reason, or if visa requirements have had an impact too? I say this from the least arrogant place as well, in the sense that I really do not want to sound like I see myself as the perfect candidate deserving of a contract!

For some context, I graduated with a first equivalent, have AAB equivalent from IB, and have over a year legal work experience in two different companies (not law firms but both in the, and founded two projects with over 500 student members in the three years of my LLB. Definitely can see points of improvement in my application, my motivational letters are usually my weak points, I find that I struggle writing them, but with the amount of applications and time spent, I just cant get an interview anywhere...

Once again, please do not take this as me saying "i am the perfect candidate why is no one picking me". I am far from it. More so I am asking if I should lower my expectations of this journey due to being a post brexit EU citizen, or should I look deeper into what I am doing wrong?
    I went to uni in London, so I can’t speak about the academic side of things.
    However, if I was to offer a piece of advice, I’d say try to network with lawyers from your country, especially those who work in practice areas which are prevalent in London. Around 7-8 international law firms have offices in my home country (think NRF, Stephenson Harwood etc), and I was quite keen on learning more about them and the work they do - a lot of the lawyers there had experience working in the UK as well, so they were able to guide me as to what skills I need to develop to be a successful candidate in London. If you think that your country’s legal market offers you this opportunity, definitely take it. You can also try to find people from your country who work at City firms via LinkedIn - reach out to them and I reckon they’d be willing to have a chat.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me, for the work experience section, does grad rec expect the same level of conciseness as actual application answers? or can the work experience section be slightly more descriptive? if the actual application answers are concise but the work experience is slightly detailed, is the app considered a good app or a mid app at best?

Thanks.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Find it quite interesting that grad rec for hogan lovells say that majority of applicants get rejected for failing the watson glaser. Majority using that logical meaning at least 51. Has anyone been PFOd already for failing to make the benchmark?
    I have a WG from them but I’ve been putting it off the the past 3 days for this exact reason! I can update you on how I done :(

yasmars

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2021
    Find it quite interesting that grad rec for hogan lovells say that majority of applicants get rejected for failing the watson glaser. Majority using that logical meaning at least 51. Has anyone been PFOd already for failing to make the benchmark?
    I did their WG last week and haven’t received any updates. Not sure if this a good or a bad sign

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    How many internationals coming from unis from the outside of the UK have actually seen success in securing a TC? Are the odds really as stacked against us as people say? I cannot seem to get past the application stage and although it can, as anything, use some work, I really dont know if my profile and grades are the only reason, or if visa requirements have had an impact too? I say this from the least arrogant place as well, in the sense that I really do not want to sound like I see myself as the perfect candidate deserving of a contract!

For some context, I graduated with a first equivalent, have AAB equivalent from IB, and have over a year legal work experience in two different companies (not law firms but both in the, and founded two projects with over 500 student members in the three years of my LLB. Definitely can see points of improvement in my application, my motivational letters are usually my weak points, I find that I struggle writing them, but with the amount of applications and time spent, I just cant get an interview anywhere...

Once again, please do not take this as me saying "i am the perfect candidate why is no one picking me". I am far from it. More so I am asking if I should lower my expectations of this journey due to being a post brexit EU citizen, or should I look deeper into what I am doing wrong?
    Hey @norothrow324,

As an international applicant with an undergraduate degree from a university outside of the UK, I totally understand your frustration and your concerns. I went through the process last year (it was my first application cycle) and I managed to secure multiple offers from US law firms and I ended up signing a training contract offer from Goodwin!

I would say that it can seem like the odds are against us but it is all about being able to explain why your background, your story and your journey as a whole make sense as to your reason why you want to be a lawyer in the UK specifically. It is definitely harder for international applicants, especially if you do not have a UK degree, however I am sure that perseverance and hard-work will take you far!

Additionally, I was a non-law students, having studied politics in Italy for my undergraduate degree and an MSc in Development Studies at LSE, and so I was really under the impression that I would have never been able to get a training contract, but that was not a reality.

I hope my story can show you that it is totally possible for us to be successful and I hope that it motivates you to keep going and focus on where you can improve in the application stage process, in order to secure multiple interviews in the future.

Good luck with everything!

• 🏆
    Reactions: Jaysen and Ali A

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Reactions: Sharon Wu and app03

Tintin06

Legendary Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    How realistic is to get a direct TC as a non-law graduate at a firm that doesn't run a Vac Scheme like Fried Frank or King & Spalding when I haven't done a Vacation Scheme since 2020? Would doing their Open Day help? Any other advice?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.