TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi! Hope everyones doing well! For Gowling's application question "Why is ESG important to Gowling WLG, and how can lawyers proactively promote ESG best practices in the commercial world? (350 words)" How would one go about answering this? For the first part, should I talk about their clients and why ESG is important to them? and for the second part, again, should my answer revolve around their clients? Thank you!
Hey @lola15167
The question is certainly a bit challenging to navigate but what I would do to tackle is:
  1. You were perfectly right in focusing on two parts. By recognising them, you are more likely to answer all the parts of the question provided. I certainly used to jump to the answer forgetting to reply to a specific part of the question so good job in focusing on these two parts.
  2. For the first part I would make mention three reasons why ESG is important to the firm: these could be client demand (as you mentioned), many clients now are placing greater importance on ESG considerations and legal expertise around this area is quintessential nowadays. Secondly, risk management/regulatory compliance/litigation and enforcement. These are areas of the law that the firm (Growling WG in this case) will need to work on as ESG regulations are evolving and becoming more complex and can cause significant legal and regulatory risks for companies. Thirdly, concerns around reputation branding of the firm are very important. In fact, By adhering to ESG principles, law firms can improve their own reputations and brands, which can draw in clients and socially conscious talent. In a crowded legal market, a law company can stand out with a strong ESG commitment.
  3. For the second part of the question, I think that you should focus on how lawyers can evolve and get more knowledge around the subject to be better advisers to the clients. So, I would advise to focus on training programmes around this new area of law for lawyers at the firm. I think the focus here is to give tangible examples as to how lawyers can become better experts of ESG practices in the commercial world.
I hope these tips are useful and good luck with the application!

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I applied for Freshfields' direct Training Contract last year and progressed to the assessment centre. Unfortunately, I didn't do well in the mistake-spotting written exercise. Additionally, my performance in the case study interview was average. In the feedback call, I received advice to reapply based on my partner interview, which I am currently in the process of doing.

However, I'm now faced with the dilemma of how much I should change in my application this time. Typically this cycle, as it is my second, I make significant revisions.

This might sound unreasonable, but I am genuinely fond of the cover letter I submitted to Freshies last cycle. I believe it perfectly captures my motivations and qualities. As a consequence, I am finding it hard to make substantive changes.

Is it always necessary to make significant revisions? @axelbeugre

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I applied for Freshfields' direct Training Contract last year and progressed to the assessment centre. Unfortunately, I didn't do well in the mistake-spotting written exercise. Additionally, my performance in the case study interview was average. In the feedback call, I received advice to reapply based on my partner interview, which I am currently in the process of doing.

However, I'm now faced with the dilemma of how much I should change in my application this time. Typically this cycle, as it is my second, I make significant revisions.

This might sound unreasonable, but I am genuinely fond of the cover letter I submitted to Freshies last cycle. I believe it perfectly captures my motivations and qualities. As a consequence, I am finding it hard to make substantive changes.

It’s not about changing everything, but I would strongly recommend that you emphasise how you have changed/developed since your last application in your personal statement.

Effectively showing how you have taken on the feedback they gave you and how you have found opportunities to push your development in those areas would be a really positive approach to take.

That won’t happen if you use the same statement.

Reactions: sxw517

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023

I perfectly agree with @Jessica Booker, I think you should emphasise how you worked on this feedback and how you subsequently became a better candidate than last year.

I specifically would mention potential courses you could do online on case study analysis, or an internship you have done where you were asked to demonstrate and exercise attention to detail which is going to be necessary for mistake-spotting exercises.

I understand that the cover letter you have done was successful, however you want to show that things have improved and now you are an even more exceptional candidate, so definitely incorporate experiences, courses or anything that can show that you have worked on your attention to detail and case study analysis and I think you should be fine. The cover letter does not have to be too different than before, but including this section will help you massively.

Another trick is rewriting the sentences you have used in your previous application. There are tools online that you can use to rewrite a sentence, and I think that this could also help in constructing an answer that might seem new!

Good luck with the application!!

Last edited:

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    It’s not about changing everything, but I would strongly recommend that you emphasise how you have changed/developed since your last application in your personal statement.

Effectively showing how you have taken on the feedback they gave you and how you have found opportunities to push your development in those areas would be a really positive approach to take.

That won’t happen if you use the same statement.
    I perfectly agree with @Jessica Booker, I think you should emphasise how you worked on this feedback and how you subsequently became a better candidate than last year.

I specifically would mention potential courses you could do online above case study analysis, or an internship you have done where you were asked to demonstrate and exercise attention to detail which is going to be necessary for mistake-spotting exercises.

I understand that the cover letter you have done was successful, however you want to show that things have improved and now you are an even more exceptional candidate, so definitely incorporate experiences, courses or anything that can show that you have worked on your attention to detail and case study analysis and I think you should be fine. The cover letter does not have to be too different than before, but including this section will help you massively.

Another trick is rewriting the sentences you have used in your previous application. There are tools online that you can use to rewrite a sentence, and I think that this could also help in constructing an answer that might seem new!

Good luck with the application!!
    Nice one! Thank you both.

Would you dedicate a small paragraph to those two areas and explicitly state how those areas have been improved (commercial awareness/case study skills and attention to detail), as luckily in my current role, I can think of two aspects of my current role that could feed into explaining how I have improved in this area. Yet, I don't want it to seem too forced and think a para on these two skills could look a bit odd, sitting in the middle of my 'why me' section. Have you seen this in other applicants' cover letters when they reapply to firms?

Or, would you suggest I weave these skills throughout the job details of my current experience? This approach ensures a natural flow in showcasing how these areas have been enhanced. I want the narrative to feel cohesive and genuine, without appearing forced.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.