TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

HLL

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 26, 2021
Wondering how many marks people get out of Simmons' online test? I got a low percentage for some of the areas but thought the test wasn't super difficult. Would be gutted to have made the effort for 4 vi questions only to find out I failed the benchmark for the test part haha

Reactions: trainingcontract

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    Thank you so much! The practice assessment tip is invaluable!
    Yep, I would suggest taking note of the marking criteria during the practice assessment. They run through what your answers should incorporate.

Although it may not be relevant to Dechert’s VI, as the practice is more competency based instead of motivational, I would say it definitely helps with approaching VIs in general.

It may not be applicable to other online test providers but I think it’s useful to know regardless.

P.S - for anyone that wants to try this, the practice can be found on shortlist.me

Reactions: oqnqng and Chen0106

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Does anyone have advice on how to approach Goodwin's application questions?
    100 words for the 'why commercial law' or 'why Goodwin' doesn't seem enough to add detail to the answer.

Do you have any advice @axelbeugre ?
    Hey @Aga123+'

I totally agree with you, the word count is a bit daunting but it is basically asking you to be succinct and go straight to the point, which I guess is one of the main skills as a lawyer.

What I did was:
    • Pick two reasons why I was interested in Goodwin, whether it is its focus on technology, or life sciences, but also their initiatives regarding D,E & I. When you chose your two reasons, spend 50 words for each, describing them and link them (very briefly) to your background and experiences to substantiate why these factors of interest to you specifically. I talked about the focus on technology, which I am very interested in, and linked it back to an internship I did at a fintech company. Secondly, I talked about their diversity initiatives and goals which I really resonated with and linked them to my background.
    • For the Why commercial law, I succinctly explained why I am interested in it with a personal anecdote and subsequently I linked it with an experience I had at a law firm and during an internship. The word count pushes you to go straight to the point, so make sure to immediately touch upon the crucial reasons as to why you decided to become a commercial lawyer and try to draw from your personal/professional experiences and I am sure you will do great!
    • For the commercial news questions, just pick something that interests you and that you are genuinely able to tackle about as these could come up during the interview. I would make sure to link the topics to Goodwin in some way, shape or form if you can but this is not essential. I chose to talk about technology in one and sustainability in the other and I was able to connect both to Goodwin and I think that that worked really well.
    I hope these tips are useful and good luck with the application! Goodwin is great and I am not saying it only because I have a TC there! ;)

benxi

Standard Member
    Oct 20, 2023
    Hi! To the extent you are able to share, are the questions all strengths-based as stated on the website? I did the VI last year and I was asked firm-specific questions too. I also had 1 minute to answer the question instead of 45 seconds!
    I did mine this week and had 1 minute to answer and 30 seconds to read each question (still 3 questions tho)

Flutterbyx303

Star Member
    Sep 11, 2023
    Wondering how many marks people get out of Simmons' online test? I got a low percentage for some of the areas but thought the test wasn't super difficult. Would be gutted to have made the effort for 4 vi questions only to find out I failed the benchmark for the test part haha
    I did mine today. I scored ok in everything apart from self management so prioritising tasks! The assessment was very SJT/verbal/numerical heavy! Not as many video questions as I thought…

• 🤝
    Reactions: HLL

F12M34L

Legendary Member
  • Apr 28, 2022
    I did mine today. I scored ok in everything apart from self management so prioritising tasks! The assessment was very SJT/verbal/numerical heavy! Not as many video questions as I thought…
    I received a low score in self-management, which is puzzling to me because I consider myself an organised individual who cannot operate without prioritising tasks. I hope that those who scored higher than 4/5 in their competencies are the ones who advance, as this is a potential assessment, and the rules should be adhered to.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Any advice on written tasks? Thanks in advance.
    Hey @Tintin06,
    I only had one written exercise which was a case study which we had to read and answer 5 questions on it.
    Some tips that I have are:
    1. Make sure to read over the written material at least twice if time allows it. The first time you are familiarising yourself with the content and the general topic of the test. The second reading is more focused and it is meant for you to clearly identify the key players or facts of the case.
    2. Answer the questions provided succinctly and precisely, without waffling too much. These written exercises are a way for you to show your time management and conciseness skills, which are very important as future lawyers.
    3. Do not repeat yourself twice when answering a question or a prompt and analyse the topic, the case or whatever you are given from different angles if that helps to actively reflect on the subject matter and come to an intelligent conclusion.
    4. If you have to draft an email, make sure that you use all the formalities necessary to address your audience. A lot of points are missed because people tend to disregard the basics, so make sure that you have paid enough attention to the basics.
    I hope these tips are useful and good luck!

flower

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 31, 2023
    No it’s an email 😭😭😭😭😭

Edit: the mistake is the subject line and the body of the text 🫠
    Maybe re-send the email this time with the correct spelling in the subject line and text? You can always play off the first email as a mistakenly sent first draft and the second as the 'official' email, I think this might be better than not doing anything at all.

Reactions: Minitomatosalad

islasorna

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 29, 2023
    Hi, congratulations for getting VI invite!

Yes there is time limit for prep. If I remember correctly 1 minute prep for the first 2 questions and 3 minutes for the last. It's been a while so I am not 100% on this.. also I would recommend focusing on your skills for this VI!
    Thanks, I imagine we only get one chance to record and no do-overs?

Reactions: hirene and ayek

LawBrah

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 15, 2023
    Loooool yeah firms have found their new way of whittling down the number of candidates they need to consider. Make us complete the tests before the application deadline - but don't tell us that before hand! Scum move imo.

Linklaters did the same with their open day.

But if you look on LinkedIn at their trainees, I found only one who was not either from the south west or didn't attend Bristol uni. I don't know why they are so fussed, it is only how I would move to London for a job - yet London offices will take in people from anywhere across the UK.

For a firm based in Bristol it is reasonable to be worried about whether prospective trainees, who they pour considerable £££ and time into, are going to scarper to London for more money as soon as they qualify and become much more employable. Hiring candidates with a tangible connection to the area likely lowers the odds of this happening.

Despite doing a lot of London work, trying to be competitive in the London NQ Salary market isn't feasible for the firm so they have to think about maximising retention in different ways.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Yes, I received a certificate upon completion, recognized by the Association for Coaching.
    Was this a qualification though (rather than a certificate)? If a formal qualification (eg it has a recognised level of study) then include it in your education section. If it is more like a training course, then put it elsewhere in your application.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For a firm based in Bristol it is reasonable to be worried about whether prospective trainees, who they pour considerable £££ and time into, are going to scarper to London for more money as soon as they qualify and become much more employable. Hiring candidates with a tangible connection to the area likely lowers the odds of this happening.

Despite doing a lot of London work, trying to be competitive in the London NQ Salary market isn't feasible for the firm so they have to think about maximising retention in different ways.
    I must stress how important an influence this is in the regional firms’ recruitment process.

For decades they have had people apply to their regional opportunities to either CV build or in the hope they can transfer to a London opportunity at some point (whether that’s during the recruitment process, as a trainee or upon qualification). They will try to filter out these people at every stage of the process.

London is an outlier in that many people are willing to move to the city or live within commutable distance to London because of the public transport networks being so much better in the South East. Therefore London based firms don’t have to worry about this in the same way - although the “stickability” can still be an important factor London firms look for. It’s just supercharged in regional firms when compared to London ones.

LawBrah

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 15, 2023
    I must stress how important an influence this is in the regional firms’ recruitment process.

For decades they have had people apply to their regional opportunities to either CV build or in the hope they can transfer to a London opportunity at some point (whether that’s during the recruitment process, as a trainee or upon qualification). They will try to filter out these people at every stage of the process.

London is an outlier in that many people are willing to move to the city or live within commutable distance to London because of the public transport networks being so much better in the South East. Therefore London based firms don’t have to worry about this in the same way - although the “stickability” can still be an important factor London firms look for. It’s just supercharged in regional firms when compared to London ones.

Then the operative question becomes: How does a candidate, who genuinely wants to train and work in Bristol long-term, prove this to a firm like Burges Salmon when on-paper they have little to no connection to the area?

HR from a different Bristol-based firm were actually rather apologetic to me on this point during VS feedback - saying essentially that I lacked ties to the south-west but in all honesty that isn't really something I could go about changing easily, and therefore they themselves felt harsh in grading candidates on it.

DKLaw

Star Member
    Feb 8, 2023
    Was this a qualification though (rather than a certificate)? If a formal qualification (eg it has a recognised level of study) then include it in your education section. If it is more like a training course, then put it elsewhere in your application.
    It is like a training course, so I guess I'll put it in the extra curricular section. Thank you for the input.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

DKLaw

Star Member
    Feb 8, 2023
    Then the operative question becomes: How does a candidate, who genuinely wants to train and work in Bristol long-term, prove this to a firm like Burges Salmon when on-paper they have little to no connection to the area?

HR from a different Bristol-based firm were actually rather apologetic to me on this point during VS feedback - saying essentially that I lacked ties to the south-west but in all honesty that isn't really something I could go about changing easily, and therefore they themselves felt harsh in grading candidates on it.
    Was just about to ask this, I am applying to English firms while doing an English law degree in Scotland. From my perspective, if I am applying to regional firms rather than City, then that is in of itself an indication that I'll stick, but I completely understand that the firm has no reason to be certain that I won't move further South for a better opportunity. So, how does one convince them without having any strong ties to the region? I lived in Manchester before moving to Scotland almost a decade ago, would that be a reason to discuss?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.