TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Ellewoodz

Aug 27, 2023
Hi @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker I was hoping for some guidance with this commercial awareness question for Goodwin: "Identify a current commercial issue which has attracted your attention recently. Why do you consider it to be significant? Who are the key stakeholders and what are the implications for those concerned?". Should I link the issue to the legal sector/ Goodwin? Or does it want us to only talk about those involved? Thank you!

Reactions: axelbeugre

Manuchelsout

Legendary Member
Nov 8, 2023
Hi @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker I was hoping for some guidance with this commercial awareness question for Goodwin: "Identify a current commercial issue which has attracted your attention recently. Why do you consider it to be significant? Who are the key stakeholders and what are the implications for those concerned?". Should I link the issue to the legal sector/ Goodwin? Or does it want us to only talk about those involved? Thank you!
This is similar to Akin Gump 1 and their GR said if you can link it to the firm then it will be great but is not necessary. I always link it to the firm just to make it stronger. Just how I roll with these questions.

Reactions: S87

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
You don’t need to link it to the legal sector or Goodwin explicitly in your answer (as the question is not asking you to do this), but depending on what the topic is then if the key stakeholders include the legal sector or more specifically Goodwin, then obviously you can do so. It’s just the matter does not need to be directly related to the firm.

Ellewoodz

Aug 27, 2023
You don’t need to link it to the legal sector or Goodwin explicitly in your answer (as the question is not asking you to do this), but depending on what the topic is then if the key stakeholders include the legal sector or more specifically Goodwin, then obviously you can do so. It’s just the matter does not need to be directly related to the firm.
Thank you very much!

os111

Jan 22, 2023
Has anyone ever managed to get feedback from a firm after first and second stage application pfo? I was really pleased with my hogan Lovells wvs application and think it was better than other submissions that have gotten me to AC with other firms.
If I ask will I be able to get some feedback? As I would really love to know where I didn’t meet the mark so that I can improve for the remainder of the cycle.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The Baker Mckenzie question of "tell us something that excites you", I assume this is pretty similar to the HSF one discussed today?

How would I approach this?
Yes - very similar questions but to me the difference is really finding a true passion topic/subject rather than something you are just interested in, and because of that you definitely have to show how you have explored the passion in the answer.

Reactions: NJS

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.