TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Why is ESG important to Gowling WLG, and how can lawyers proactively promote ESG best practices in the commercial world? (350 words)

I've been struggling with this question for a couple of days now. I decided to approach it from a client perspective, saying ESG has become increasingly important in business as it has evolved from a minor aspect to a key part of business strategy, including areas like operations, risk management, and managing employees. And obviously, it is important for Gowling because the firm needs to advise its clients on best practices.
    Then in the second part of the question, I explain that lawyers should be proactive in advising on ESG matters and use their expertise in strategic thinking and risk assessment to help companies navigate the ESG landscape, ensuring compliance and spotting opportunities.

But I feel it's a bit generic as a response, can someone help me with this? I'm considering picking a specific practice area in order to be more specific with my answer, and consider how can lawyers promote best practices in that particular area. Or even focus on one of the ESG elements, such as the Environmental part.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Why is ESG important to Gowling WLG, and how can lawyers proactively promote ESG best practices in the commercial world? (350 words)

I've been struggling with this question for a couple of days now. I decided to approach it from a client perspective, saying ESG has become increasingly important in business as it has evolved from a minor aspect to a key part of business strategy, including areas like operations, risk management, and managing employees. And obviously, it is important for Gowling because the firm needs to advise its clients on best practices.

Then in the second part of the question, I explain that lawyers should be proactive in advising on ESG matters and use their expertise in strategic thinking and risk assessment to help companies navigate the ESG landscape, ensuring compliance and spotting opportunities.

But I feel it's a bit generic as a response, can someone help me with this? I'm considering picking a specific practice area in order to be more specific with my answer, and consider how can lawyers promote best practices in that particular area. Or even focus on one of the ESG elements, such as the Environmental part.
    Hey, this is the advice that I gave to someone who asked the same question, I hope that helps:

www.thecorporatelawacademy.com

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Yes i got one the day after i failed sorry to hear that, did they give you any percentile benchmark that was supposed to be met?

Good luck with the application!

Reactions: bella98

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Reactions: axelbeugre

Manuchelsout

Legendary Member
    Nov 8, 2023
    Hey @Untilwinter,

There are things to take into account:
    • Do your research on the clients of the firm. This could be down through looking at the website of the firm, or look at websites such as chambers student, legal cheek, or any other legal-based website. I think it is really important to know exactly which are the clients of the firms that you might be interested in. Eventually, LinkedIn is also a good way to learn about the clients as some times the law firms will comment on some clients' successes or repost their posts.
    • Once you have selected the client you want to talk about, do some further research on the client and identify a business issue that it is facing or has been facing recently.
    • I would not focus too much on going over the issue and explaining the intricacies of that, but mainly focus on how you think the company can implement new ways to face the issue, and how the law firm can assist from a legal stand point. When it comes to this last point, I would focus on whether there are issues within the organisation or with a transaction they recently went into, I would look at synergy issues, employees satisfaction, position of the company within the market (when it comes to the company entering into a transaction for instance) or implementation of new market strategy, diversification of products sold (if the issue is more internal to the company). These are just examples of things to think about.
    I hope this helps you and good luck!
    To add onto this can we swot analysis of a challenge facing them I.e. Goldman Sanchs or discuss it like a commercial issue question!

Reactions: axelbeugre

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022

Cover all parts of ESG rather than just one part. Also, my answer was more focused on the second part. I interpreted the question as Gowling wanting me to do some independent thinking as well as being creative with my answer. Just a thought!

Reactions: bella98

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    To add onto this can we swot analysis of a challenge facing them I.e. Goldman Sanchs or discuss it like a commercial issue question!
    I think I will try and answer the question as it was framed to not risk it, since the question asks to talk about a client and not the firm specifically.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Manuchelsout

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.