TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Confused by the reactions to this - was kinda a tongue in cheek Q - but there was a post in last years VS thread saying this about a firm, so I would not be surprised.

I am not an Oxford student nor do I have an SM interview - if you thought that I had an interview with SM at Oxford and was asking the poster if they had the same.
    I was actually reacting to the possibility of interviews being held at Oxford. 🤣 funny and sad at the same time
    From what I’ve heard they already have open days without needing to take tests or VIs

Reactions: hanz123

jomar

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 20, 2022
    Hi all - I am planning an info session within a society that I run to educate those members about "non-law" students applying to law firms (TCs, vac schemes, etc).

For all of you non law students: what would you want to see in such a presentation? Would like some advice before I prepare the content and wanted to see all of your thoughts?

Brief context- I am a 2025 Future Trainee at a US firm and am a non-law background, hence why I am doing this within my society.

Thanks!

lawyerinzootopia

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 12, 2023
    Hi all - I am planning an info session within a society that I run to educate those members about "non-law" students applying to law firms (TCs, vac schemes, etc).

For all of you non law students: what would you want to see in such a presentation? Would like some advice before I prepare the content and wanted to see all of your thoughts?

Brief context- I am a 2025 Future Trainee at a US firm and am a non-law background, hence why I am doing this within my society.

Thanks!
    This sounds interesting!! Personally, I was pretty clueless about the application process as a whole i.e. TC offers are given two years in advance, PDGL/SQE information, ACs, VIs and the lot of it to be honest. I also would've liked to be informed about how I can make my application stand out in terms of extracurriculars, insight schemes, open days and whatever else!

Reactions: jomar

lawyerinzootopia

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 12, 2023
    I totally understand the confusion, I was very naif when I started applying last year too, you learn through the process so do not worry too much!

In terms of linking the deals back to you, I think that after you have expressed your interest in a specific deal, you also need to specify why you are interested in it.

For example, in my Latham application last year, I mentioned a case regarding the Latin American Development Bank, CAF, on its $800 million global bond offering. I expressed that this was very interesting to me as someone who was studying economic development during my MSc and also because I dealt with advising international government officials in North and South America during an internship I did with an American political consulting company.

I hope the example is helpful!
    Very helpful, thanks a lot!! :)

Reactions: axelbeugre

Amjaya

Star Member
    Sep 24, 2023
    Hi all, I have a question about W&C! In the case where you haven’t heard back from the firm for the WVS after you submitted your application - is this a PFO. Or would I be confidered for the summer / spring schemes I chose as my second and third options (on the application). Thank you

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    Hi all, I have a question about W&C! In the case where you haven’t heard back from the firm for the WVS after you submitted your application - is this a PFO. Or would I be confidered for the summer / spring schemes I chose as my second and third options (on the application). Thank you
    same, radio silence post app but then again I applied on the deadline

ab01

Star Member
  • Jan 23, 2021
    Hmm that's kind of true. HSF did an Oxford open day on Monday. The application form was the same as other open days to my knowledge but probably easier to get on to. We do have a ridiculous number of networking events at the university though. (Not 'bragging' by any means, just being entirely transparent)
    As a recent Cambridge law grad, I know many people who have studied law at Oxford - and these “networking events” and “open days” do not guarantee you a TC! Some of my friends from Oxford are still struggling to find a TC… We had a lot of networking events at Cambridge too, far more than Oxford to be fair!

Studying at Oxford doesn’t guarantee you a TC lol. I’m from Cambridge and still do not have a TC 🤣

I believe a lot of firms are broadening their horizons - I know a lot of trainees / future trainees from Russell Groups and Non-Russell Groups!

Also, recently completed an AC at S&M happy to assist!

Manuchelsout

Legendary Member
    Nov 8, 2023
    As a recent Cambridge law grad, I know many people who have studied law at Oxford - and these “networking events” and “open days” do not guarantee you a TC! Some of my friends from Oxford are still struggling to find a TC… We had a lot of networking events at Cambridge too, far more than Oxford to be fair!

Studying at Oxford doesn’t guarantee you a TC lol. I’m from Cambridge and still do not have a TC 🤣

I believe a lot of firms are broadening their horizons - I know a lot of trainees / future trainees from Russell Groups and Non-Russell Groups!

If only they could offer everyone on this forum 1 VS each for being on this platform!

flower1

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 18, 2023

Hi, if it's okay - please could you share your S&M AC experience, how you prepared etc. Thank you :)

Reactions: ab01

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.