TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

yeezyee

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 8, 2023
I recieved the CC on hold email too! I checked last years thing and it seems like people that received it got it right before the AC stage because of physical space.. wondering how the hold process works at this stage when the next step is just video interviews?? I did apply like day before deadline but im curious?

Reactions: Sharon Wu

legalgrinch

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 30, 2023
    won't lie sometimes I just don't understand how they judge candidates, like I got people who had less better grades/experiences/unis got progressed...
    I think about this all the time! 🤔 💭

I think it’s luck unfortunately…

CC is very known for offering TC offers to odd people to say the least 🫠 I know as my uni is full of “future trainees at CC…”

I am also wondering about the application process for Bird and Bird? It says "This year we are recruiting for trainees to start in September 2026, so please only apply for a vacation scheme if you are able to commence a training contract in September 2026. This means you will be in your penultimate-year of a law degree, final-year of a non-law degree, or a graduate."
    But surely a final year law student would also be able to apply??

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I am starting to think that i just dont fit the profile of what mc firms are looking for.
    I thought my app for ao cc hsf were all quite strong and passed all the tests but everything has been pfo.
    maybe its because of my grade or the fact that i am a mature student but dont think I'll apply for mcs now :(
    I understand how demoralising it can be, but I wouldn't recommend making a hasty decision to rule out applying to MC firms based solely on this experience.

Here's why... I graduated in 2019, recently completed the PGDL, and am a career changer. I don't believe MC firms overwhelmingly prefer undergraduate candidates.

I applied to CC last year, passed WG and didn't get invited to VI, however, this year I have. I have applied to FF and got through to the AC stage. However, the first MC firms I applied to were Slaughters and A&O, both of which I was rejected post-app. If you make generalisations about a set of similar firms, based on a PFO from one firm that is in that silo, I would think that you're shooting yourself in the foot.

One caveat, I do seem to get a lot more traction with US firms, I don't know why, but I think from speaking to friends already in the law, these firms do often tend to go for graduates and those who have worked in other professions.

In essence, don't be discouraged. Keep applying to MC firms and even consider CC opportunities. There isn't a one-size-fits-all profile they seek, so persistence can pay off.

Drop me a message if you want :)

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    I think more than anything, the frustrating thing is being left in the dark. CC said they would reply today and many have heard nothing, and A&O said they would let people know this week and again, nothing.

If it's a PFO, I'd rather just be alerted as opposed to holding onto that tiny slimmer of hope of still being accepted.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.