Hearing back from Squire post AC?

JYP

Nov 28, 2019
Has anyone heard back from Squire Patton Boggs post AC.

Is it worth emailing GR to see what is going on and just to get an update (mostly to stop me refreshing my inbox every 5 minutes) is this likely to annoy them?

JYP

Nov 28, 2019
How long have you been waiting?
Hi Jessica,

AC was a week tomorrow. The lady at GR after the AC mentioned that she would hope to get back to us by "early next week."

It was a fairly small AC and there was only 2 ACs altogether (both on the same day) I am wondering whether it is common practice for every office to confirm their intake and let everyone know together?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Stop refreshing your inbox - it’s not going to make any difference.

if you haven’t heard anything back by Monday, give them a call.

JYP

Nov 28, 2019
Stop refreshing your inbox - it’s not going to make any difference.

if you haven’t heard anything back by Monday, give them a call.

Is it common practice for law firms to reply either way following an assessment centre?

It seems strange for them to leave applicants completely in the dark without any sort of response. I am beggining to think they just dont get back to you if you were not picked. Strange as the AC only has 4 people.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it common practice for law firms to reply either way following an assessment centre?

It seems strange for them to leave applicants completely in the dark without any sort of response. I am beggining to think they just dont get back to you if you were not picked. Strange as the AC only has 4 people.

yes - if you have attended something in person, I would expect the firm to get back to you either way. It’s not to say they won’t, it’s just pretty bad candidate management if they don’t. Call them if you haven’t heard from them in over 7 working days and ask for an update.

It could easily be the case that you are in a “hold” offer pile. They potentially have made offers ahead of you, but don’t want to turn you down yet if there is a risk of people declining the offer.

JYP

Nov 28, 2019
yes - if you have attended something in person, I would expect the firm to get back to you either way. It’s not to say they won’t, it’s just pretty bad candidate management if they don’t. Call them if you haven’t heard from them in over 7 working days and ask for an update.

It could easily be the case that you are in a “hold” offer pile. They potentially have made offers ahead of you, but don’t want to turn you down yet if there is a risk of people declining the offer.

I rang them this morning however they said they will forward my message to the relevant person and they would get back to me "whenever they have time."

I can understand firms not wanting to be understaffed if people reject, however, considering the scheme starts next week it seems very short notice for applicants to book hotels/trains - maybe its just normal practice but just seems rather unfair.

Reactions: KS94

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I rang them this morning however they said they will forward my message to the relevant person and they would get back to me "whenever they have time."

I can understand firms not wanting to be understaffed if people reject, however, considering the scheme starts next week it seems very short notice for applicants to book hotels/trains - maybe its just normal practice but just seems rather unfair.

It isn’t great - but unfortunately this is what it can be like at times. All it takes is for their grad rec staff to be “understaffed” and things like response times get thrown out the window.

It is their busiest time of the year - typically everyone is suffering from a bit of exhaustion and coming down with bugs/colds. Milkround is tough going (why I’m glad I don’t do it anymore) and unfortunately at times like this getting back to a small number of candidates can be way down the priority list.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Would I be right in assuming that it is likely to be a rejection? I can't see them making offers the week before the start of the vac scheme.

not necessarily. It’s more than likely a rejection, but I’ve been known to offer vac schemes days before they start where people drop out last minute.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.