TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

biglaworbust

Jun 29, 2023
Funnily enough, I emailed them on the 6th and haven't gotten a response. I'm just choosing the believe they are swamped with apps right now, not gonna bug them. (I sent it to [email protected], assuming that was the correct email.)
Finally heard back for Linklaters WG. Got 98th percentile (37/40), I'm begging may I PLEASE get this interview!!!

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Are people still waiting to hear back from Mishcon following the application stage? I believe I applied pretty much on deadline day.

I was also going to ask about WBD, but it appears no applicant has heard back yet anyway.
    I'm still waiting for Mishcon 🥹 I applied about a week before the deadline.
    Same with WBD, applied on deadline, haven't heard back.

affidavid

Star Member
    Jan 9, 2024
    It absolutely does not matter so I would not worry about this. If you get the training contract before starting law school they will fund it for you and send you to the law school they want (this was my case). If you apply during the PGDL then what school you are attending will not matter and you will not be disadvantaged in the slightest so do not worry!
    excellent thanks! just wondering cos i was applying to a vac scheme at ropes and gray and they want to know where i plan to do my pgdl

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This might be a very silly question, but I am preparing an answer for 'TELL ME ABOUT A TIME YOU HAD TO PERSUADE SOMEONE ROUND TO YOUR WAY OF THINKING?'
    and I can only think of when I have persuaded my parents to let me do things lol. They are very very strict and so stubborn and I have been able to persuade them on things that they have always said no to. Is it wrong to speak about parents or should I think a lot harder about another example? Again, so sorry if this is a stupid question!!!
    My only concern with this is if you always persuade your parents, are you really being able to show you were challenged by the example - because you have achieved it every time.

It doesn’t need to be a big example - maybe you worked in a group on something and you convinced them to take on your ideas or the approach to whatever you were working on.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    brooooooooooooooooooos
    I have a question abt non-law TC applicants:
    It seems like different firms want to use different law schools if they're gonna sponsor u through PGDL/SQE. How do I deal with this when applying to vac schemes/ TCs when I haven't applied to a law school for PGDL yet? Will I be disadvantaged if I say I'm gonna do the PGDL at a law school a particular firm doesn't prefer??
    No disadvantage. The PGDL is a standardised course and there are no issues where you do it. Worst comes to the worst, they ask you to move to the school they prefer if they do offer you a job.

Reactions: affidavid

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @axelbeugre how are you meant to structure a why you question if there’s not enough word count do go into STAR for your different experiences ? Everyone says not to just list what you did and then skills gained? so confused with this one
    STAR only works for competency questions where you are asked to identify one particular skill. It shouldn’t be used for these general questions like “why you”.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just re read my freshfields personal statement that I have submitted and realised I mention they have six seats but upon reflection it seems they actually have eight. I took this information from multiple sources including chambers student but maybe that was an old post. Annoyed with myself as I really liked the rest of what I wrote. Do you guys think automatic PFO??
    Reality is it will be anywhere between 4-6 seats really. There is just 8 seat rotations, but many trainees stay in the same practice area for two-three month rotations or do secondments for 6 months. It’s been like that for decades, but the 8-seats really mean you get 8 chances to change seats, not that you will do 8 seats.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Njaliwe Ungwe

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi - how would you approach the 'What motivates you?' question?
    Reflect on what gives you energy. What is it about interactions/responsibilities that you get a bit buzzy about compared to the things that drain your energy. Then try to apply that to how that will help you in a law firm as a trainee.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.