TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    I guess it helps you because you have a deeper understanding of the sector and can exhaustively talk about commercial issue which is good, but I personally do not think it makes you stand out as much. Especially now that the SQE is in place and certain firms do not allow LPC holders to apply. However, you are in a great position and I am sure you will succeed so do not worry too much!
    I see, thank you so much! Oh my, some firms do not allow LPC holders to apply? Do you know which firms?

Reactions: axelbeugre

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    I see, thank you so much! Oh my, some firms do not allow LPC holders to apply? Do you know which firms?
    At the moment it’s just Ropes & Gray - I did not see any other firms having this policy

It’s just absurd. People have invested thousands in a course that, until not long ago, was the sole path to qualification. They've done this to show their dedication to the profession and to enhance their employability, as it appears that firms are never satisfied. Yet, despite this, I see this non-sense policy, even though all the lawyers employed there qualified through the LPC.

But many firms are still accepting it fully, while some will require the SQE2 - still fair though

affidavid

Star Member
    Jan 9, 2024
    you ever research law firm deals ahead of AC/ interview and suddenly the whole thing just seems boring and sordid and you feel disgusted by soulless corporate law? Like what if we're all just attracted to this field because it's competitive and selective (and high paying and prestigious)

Law_Between_Life

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 14, 2023
    For clarity, am I right in saying that to apply to Shoosmith's Placement Scheme, you must satisfy their diversity requirements?

From looking at their website, I believe if you do not come under this requirement, you must apply to their TC directly.

Please let me know if I am wrong so I can shift my application deadlines if needed.

law2022x

Legendary Member
    Feb 21, 2022
    I guess it helps you because you have a deeper understanding of the sector and can exhaustively talk about commercial issue which is good, but I personally do not think it makes you stand out as much. Especially now that the SQE is in place and certain firms do not allow LPC holders to apply. However, you are in a great position and I am sure you will succeed so do not worry too much!
    Which firms besides Ropes doesn’t allow LPC students to apply? Bit worried now

Reactions: axelbeugre

B.B.

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    For clarity, am I right in saying that to apply to Shoosmith's Placement Scheme, you must satisfy their diversity requirements?

From looking at their website, I believe if you do not come under this requirement, you must apply to their TC directly.

Please let me know if I am wrong so I can shift my application deadlines if needed.
    Yes, you’re right. You must satisfy the diversity requirements otherwise you can apply for a TC directly. Applications open in Feb I believe

CorporateCrocodile

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2022
    I did the Milbank AC yesterday and the written exercise was handwritten (to my surprise, as the ones I have completed have all be typed). Now, I have abysmal handwriting and am worried that it might work against me when grad rec go through it. Due to the short notice of the AC, I was so preoccupied with prepping that I neglected to inform grad rec that I was entitled to a laptop during my A-level exams on account of my poor handwriting. Is it worth contacting grad rec explaining the issue? @Jessica Booker, your insight would be welcomed.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.