TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Has anyone completed a written exercise as part of a virtual assessment centre? I'm interested in understanding how it's conducted. Do they expect you to work on it by yourself, or do they supervise you through a platform like Teams?
    I know it depends but please share your insights with me🥹

missingh

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 14, 2022
    Has anyone completed a written exercise as part of a virtual assessment centre? I'm interested in understanding how it's conducted. Do they expect you to work on it by yourself, or do they supervise you through a platform like Teams?
    from the ones i've done you're sent the written exercise usually through a special platform they use to conduct the virtual AC and then you are given i.e. 30 mins to complete and have to send it back to them within that time frame. I've also had a written exercise sent to me in the morning and i have to complete it and send it back by email before the interview so dependent on the firm really :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: bella98

anon12

Jan 8, 2024
    for links, we were given a specific platform to write, spelling and grammer checks were off. you are expected to keep your camera on whilst writing and someone within the call will say when its time to stop.

EllaClayton

Valued Member
    Jan 23, 2023
    From my experience, I could only open the task at a certain time and it was only open for 30 minutes through an online platform - I had to write directly into the platform text box my answer, the submissions automatically saved over x period of time. Other than that no active supervision, I presume just checking the text box for progress. There was no camera or screen recording aspect.

• 🤝
    Reactions: bella98

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Weil pfo after VI …. Never passed a VI before anyone got tips
    In the past, I found myself frequently looking at the picture of myself in the VI, rather than maintaining constant eye contact with the camera. Admittedly, staring into a lens initially feels weird, particularly if you aren’t transitioning from a broadcasting career.

However, since adopting a focus on the lens during my VI’s, I've experienced greater success. While the intensity of continuous eye contact with a lens often does seem slightly unnatural, I've found that breaking that gaze a couple of times within a two-minute timeframe, akin to the natural rhythm of regular eye contact when talking in person, enhances the overall connection and engagement.

danturner

Star Member
    Sep 6, 2023
    Can I just ask how you know? the email they sent said its just a research exercise and presentation, and we basically did a watson glacer test for the previous stage
    had a quick look online: the only place saying that there is another stage after this is their website. Everywhere else says that this is the final stage for a VC, including this article from the recruitment manager: https://targetjobs.co.uk/careers-ad...rke-training-contract-tips-graduate-recruiter

Think it is quite unclear though, and a lot of the information seems to be slightly outdated. Would be very surprising if there is a WG test given, as you say, we have basically already had to do one. Hopefully there is another email from them clarifying.

kcr

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 21, 2022
    Is it worth still applying to Cleary Summer VS since they’re already giving out VS offers?
    I applied about a week before the Winter VS and was told that they had already filled up their spaces. Fortunately they said they would consider me for the Spring/Summer VS so it seems they are somewhat flexible.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.