TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
This is an out of the ordinary post for myself, but I wondered how people best deal with "imposter syndrome" and nerves before an AC.

I don't usually consider myself a nervous person, but I think with the drain of this being my 4th cycle and wanting an offer so badly, I'm putting too much pressure on it. Worst off, I don't think I'm good enough, which I know is the wrong mentality. I'm looking at LinkedIn pages of trainees at my AC firm and I'm seeing people who went to Harvard, started businesses, and are just generally outstanding candidates. I don't see myself as having a selling point.

The commercial part of the interview and the unknown of that also terrifies me. I think my commercial awareness is decent. I've done an M&A course, try and follow the news etc, but I just know there's someone better.

I know going into the AC with this mentality will make me fail before I've even entered the room, so has anyone else felt similar and how did you effectively deal with it? Any advice would be appreciated :)

law2022x

Legendary Member
Feb 21, 2022
Does anyone know if Covington's silence means PFO or do they send emails confirming PFO?
They do tend to reply if we have a PFO but I think given the ACs are apparently on the 30th and 31st, I might assume it is a rejection as I also haven't heard back. It's a shame because I spent a lot of time on my application but I am going to wait to see if they give out more invites tomorrow. Last year they had 3 AC dates so I don't know if they will give some out next week if they don't have the candidates they want...

yxngd2x

Distinguished Member
Jan 8, 2024
anyone who got cut off during their vi? Or feels like they messed up? Any advice on nerves post vi?
I froze, got cut off in two questions, and said um a lot in mine and still got pushed through by Willkie -- I can't speak on eradicating nerves completely but I'd just say hope is never lost and you never know everything they're looking for in an answer or candidate -- and above everything else you can't do anything about it now so really no point stressing because it is what it is

Zi48

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2022
This is an out of the ordinary post for myself, but I wondered how people best deal with "imposter syndrome" and nerves before an AC.

I don't usually consider myself a nervous person, but I think with the drain of this being my 4th cycle and wanting an offer so badly, I'm putting too much pressure on it. Worst off, I don't think I'm good enough, which I know is the wrong mentality. I'm looking at LinkedIn pages of trainees at my AC firm and I'm seeing people who went to Harvard, started businesses, and are just generally outstanding candidates. I don't see myself as having a selling point.

The commercial part of the interview and the unknown of that also terrifies me. I think my commercial awareness is decent. I've done an M&A course, try and follow the news etc, but I just know there's someone better.

I know going into the AC with this mentality will make me fail before I've even entered the room, so has anyone else felt similar and how did you effectively deal with it? Any advice would be appreciated :)
I have definitely felt the same, last year I had 6 post-AC/interview rejections with a lot of feedback about lacking confidence. I started to think I could never be good enough and that made me even more nervous going in. I finally got a VS offer at the end of last year and the main difference was putting less pressure on the interview.

I know it’s easier said than done, but one thing I was told was to not build it up so much, to make it less important. It would be great to get this one, but it’s not your last chance. If you don’t get it, you’ll still have other opportunities! It took me a long time to accept this advice, but once I did, it took some pressure off and I enjoyed the AC experience more.

Also the day before make sure to take a break and do something you enjoy (I spent half a day singing, annoying my family 😂) You’ve probably done a lot to prep and there’s not much else you can do. I think remembering that you can never predict everything that could come up forces you to stop trying to know everything.

The fact that you’re making it to AC means that you are good enough! They get hundreds-thousands of applications and usually the % that get through to AC is quite low. The firm has seen something they like and they just want to make sure it comes across in person too.

In terms of a selling point, everyone has a different background and things you might not think of as important could stand out to the firm. If you look through your experiences is there anything you’ve done that you’re particularly proud of? (Doesn’t have to be work/uni related). Try to bring it up if you can. Look back through your application and see if there’s anything more you could highlight about your skills.

Commercial awareness is one of my weaker areas, but my advice would be to talk through things as logically as you can. If you can show your thought process that can go a long way.

Also, I deleted LinkedIn for a while. It’s helpful for reaching out to people/keeping up with firm news but it can be difficult to see everybody’s success when you’re struggling. So if it’s doing more harm than good maybe take a break.

Good luck with the AC!

(Just realising how long this is 😅)

yxngd2x

Distinguished Member
Jan 8, 2024

another way of thinking about it -- it doesn't matter whether you think you're a good enough candidate or not because grad recruitment and your interviewing lawyers see potential in you to be a part of their firm (-- therefore a good investment financially) -- and they'll know what's required more than you do

Another thing -- how does going to Harvard actually make someone a better candidate than you? I wouldn't worry about comparing yourself to others and just speak on what you do know and with confidence -- it also doesn't matter if there's someone better because I imagine the firm you're applying to isn't handing out just one TC -- a lot of where you'll be assessed on is your ability to convey information concisely and with accuracy and structure it's not really a test of knowledge so I wouldn't stress about the commercial aspect too much -- also if you don't know something necessary to an answer you can give an educated guess and if that doesn't work ask your interviewers because they're not expecting too much from you from a knowledge perspective -- flexibility in opinion and confidence are more important than concrete knowledge to a certain extent (in my experience)

BNBlawyer

Star Member
Nov 27, 2021
I froze, got cut off in two questions, and said um a lot in mine and still got pushed through by Willkie -- I can't speak on eradicating nerves completely but I'd just say hope is never lost and you never know everything they're looking for in an answer or candidate -- and above everything else you can't do anything about it now so really no point stressing because it is what it is
This was very reassuring. Thank you so much because I’m panicking like crazy

thenublawyer

Star Member
Nov 18, 2023
Thank you for that and Congratulations! And also, did you put in the firm's address along with it or was it just like Dear Legal Recruitment?
Not the same person who replied but I put the address in the header and I addressed it to Graduate Recruitment Team! I also got a vac scheme offer so I don't think they are too fussed about formatting.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.