TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
For anybody that has passed the app stage for Bakers this year, did you explicitly name one of their clients in the client question, or did you mention PE houses for example? As I am losing the will to live trying to find a mining client of the firm that uses the London projects team for work, even though I know there are some according to their website, they are just not named.
Think about industries that are very hot at the moment such as technology or life sciences. Check their ranking and consider what they excel at, then filter the news section on their website and a lot of clients names will appear.

Reactions: sxw517

helga_p

Sep 11, 2023
I am not a native speaker of English and every time I feel so frustrated and nervous when I have to do a VI or attend an AC. Does anyone feel the same way😭
Absolutely! Feel that all the time, especially at work when I have to speak up, in my head I know exactly what I want to say and the words to use but when I start talking I stumble because I overthink 🥲

bibss

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2020
Absolutely 😭 I've started to wonder if my Italian accent might be a factor in not progressing past the interview stage, despite feeling like I've given the right answers.

When speaking, I often fear that I'm not clear enough or that I might make grammatical mistakes because I’m too nervous. This doesn't happen when I'm writing because I have more time to think, which is probably why I usually pass the application stage. But during interviews, I feel this pressure and can't help thinking that it would be so much easier if I were a native English speaker.
Fellow non-native English speaker here - this is also how I feel/have felt many times 🥲For example, during my interview for a VS at a US law firm, a partner corrected the way I pronounced a word (my pronunciation was perfectly fine to begin with, having later checked with my boyfriend who is a native English speaker). I don’t know if that was some sort of test, but it wasn’t funny and really affected my confidence.

However, I’ve been trying to change my mindset recently. If I have an accent, it’s because I speak multiple languages and any company would be lucky to have me. This also makes me feel ‘better’ than my interviewer, as not many English people can say to speak more than one language.

Also, if they reject you because you have an accent, it’s their loss. It means they aren’t as international as they claim to be! Unfortunately, City law is very elitist, so I can definitely see how that would play against us in a way. 😅

ljms

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2024
Fellow non-native English speaker here - this is also how I feel/have felt many times 🥲For example, during my interview for a VS at a US law firm, a partner corrected the way I pronounced a word (my pronunciation was perfectly fine to begin with, having later checked with my boyfriend who is a native English speaker). I don’t know if that was some sort of test, but it wasn’t funny and really affected my confidence.

However, I’ve been trying to change my mindset recently. If I have an accent, it’s because I speak multiple languages and any company would be lucky to have me. This also makes me feel ‘better’ than my interviewer, as not many English people can say to speak more than one language.

Also, if they reject you because you have an accent, it’s their loss. It means they aren’t as international as they claim to be! Unfortunately, City law is very elitist, so I can definitely see how that would play against us in a way. 😅
It was Skadden or Kirkland wasn't it

Reactions: bella98

Percypig12

Valued Member
Oct 19, 2021
For anybody that has passed the app stage for Bakers this year, did you explicitly name one of their clients in the client question, or did you mention PE houses for example? As I am losing the will to live trying to find a mining client of the firm that uses the London projects team for work, even though I know there are some according to their website, they are just not named.
From their Chambers UK entry for mining:

"Baker McKenzie advised ZCCM Investment Holdings on the proposed replacement of its ordinary shareholding interest in Kansanshi Mining, the owner and operator of the Kansanshi copper mine and smelter in Zambia, with a mineral royalty."

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2020

Cant believe this🤯 thats just rude. That partners got so much ego for being able to speak just one language

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Hey @laby201,

I am sorry you feel this way as I know how hard it can be to try and pursue your dream when everyone around you seems to know everything already or have everything under control.

I perfectly relate to your feelings as this is how I used to feel last year when I was applying. I felt like I was interviewing and going against people who knew so much about commercial awareness, did 6+ vacation schemes, went to Harvard and I did not have that background. Funny enough, I also found myself surrounded by people like this during my vacation scheme.

Assessment centres are extremely daunting especially if you start comparing yourself to others and I was a victim of imposter syndrome more often than note. However, what I realised is that rather than comparing yourself to these individuals you should reflect on the fact that despite your different backgrounds, you managed to be in the same room as someone who went to Harvard with no help all by yourself. It is a huge achievement and you should be extremely proud of yourself for that. Since you reached the assessment centre stage it means that you are worth it and the law firm knows it and they are just giving you an opportunity to prove yourself, and also to enjoy the day.

I think that for me the anxiety around assessment centres and interviews went away once I started focusing on the fact that it was an opportunity for the firm to meet me as much as it was an opportunity for me to get to know the firm and to see whether I would like the people at the firm. Once you start seeing it as a two way street process then the anxiety slowly goes away as you are just focusing on being yourself.

To this day I am still in shock to have got a training contract over the Harvard people I met during my journey applying to law firms but it basically goes to show you that once you get to this stage, you have everything you need to succeed and come out on the other side!

I really hope this is reassuring and I know that you are going to succeed in your interview, just believe in yourself and do not compare yourself to anyone else.

Good luck with the process!
Hi Axel,

Thank you for your post - it genuinely means a lot and is encouraging to know there are others who have felt similar and have landed themselves a TC with an amazing firm!

I'll be sure to take that mentality into the assessment centre process and hopefully it'll serve me well. Thanks again for the advice :)

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
does anyone know what to do for someone struggling to find academic / professional references ?
You don't need to have people who will vouch for you - they can just be your academic department's office and the HR contact/general office for your previous employers

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.