TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    BAKER MCKENZIE TEST INVITE. I know many of you, are used to passing the application stage but for me it's a first! Also Bakers is my dream firm so I'm honestly so excited for the rest. From "We are sorry to inform you.." to "We are delighted...". I literally shed a tear when I receive the email lol
    Good going champ! Well deserved, hope you smash the test!

Reactions: atlas2425 and thoms

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    Hi everyone,

I haven’t been too active on the forum since my HSF rejection post-AC as it was my dream firm and with all the effort I put in, it was tough to keep going. As such, I said I was done with this cycle following that outcome.

However, I’ve had 10 days to pick myself up and am now even more motivated for this cycle to end positively.

Since then, I’ve had a Mishcon VI invite and a Baker SJT invite, while I still have a Taylor Wessing AC coming up soon.

Still waiting on W&C, Travers, HL, and Dentons (don’t know where they’ve disappeared off to) but the small wins are enough to try and stay optimistic.

It’s a tough process and just wanted to let everyone know how proud you should be of yourselves for continuing to apply and keep going, despite the PFOs. We’ll all get there in the end, and I appreciate this community immensely. Rooting for you all.

thoms

Star Member
  • Apr 29, 2023
    Hi everyone,

I haven’t been too active on the forum since my HSF rejection post-AC as it was my dream firm and with all the effort I put in, it was tough to keep going. As such, I said I was done with this cycle following that outcome.

However, I’ve had 10 days to pick myself up and am now even more motivated for this cycle to end positively.

Since then, I’ve had a Mishcon VI invite and a Baker SJT invite, while I still have a Taylor Wessing AC coming up soon.

Still waiting on W&C, Travers, HL, and Dentons (don’t know where they’ve disappeared off to) but the small wins are enough to try and stay optimistic.

It’s a tough process and just wanted to let everyone know how proud you should be of yourselves for continuing to apply and keep going, despite the PFOs. We’ll all get there in the end, and I appreciate this community immensely. Rooting for you all.
    you've got this !!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: atlas2425 and laby201

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre if we are asked how law firm x differentiates itself, what sort of things should we focus on?
    I think there are many ways you can approach this and no one way is the right way.

The first thing is to set how you have decided the criteria to differentiate them by. That could be a whole host of things:

Practice areas
    Sector focus
    Strategy (and then broken down into a whole range of sub categories within strategy)
    Client relationships
    Technology
    Alternative Services
    Values
    How the train/develop people
    Reward or recognition structures or processes

You then need to explain why you feel this category is important, but then also provide any evidence rationale as to why they are doing what they are is different to the norm of other law firms.

ADKM

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2022
    Hi everyone,

Love your attitude. It's always nice to come back after a short break. I'm sure you'll soon get there. If I may ask, for W&C are you waiting to hear back post app or post VI and is this for the spring or summer scheme?

UnKnOwN5678

Standard Member
    Jan 16, 2024
    Hi everyone,

Don't worry. I think we all have stories like this.

I graduated in 2020 and this is my third cycle of applications. I've never gotten past the application stage ever which is frustrating for me because it seems nearly all my law friends from uni around me have training contracts. Sometimes in the past I get upset so much but I've come to the point where I will feel it but I'm not going to take it too personally anymore.

I get some people may say the law firm just isn't right for you but I feel that doesn't help especially when you tried so hard in your application for it to get nowhere - I spend so long on those applications to get rejected. Its even worse for me because I didn't get AAB (I got BBB and missed by a few marks in 2 of them) so I'm really limited on the law firms I can apply for (I don't have any mitigating circumstances).

Just keep going and find something to do meanwhile if you aren't studying and apply the next cycle.

Hope that helps too!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.