TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Love your attitude. It's always nice to come back after a short break. I'm sure you'll soon get there. If I may ask, for W&C are you waiting to hear back post app or post VI and is this for the spring or summer scheme?
Thank you :) Still waiting post-app for the summer scheme. Applied the day before the deadline though I believe and know they take a while!

Reactions: ADKM

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Don't worry. I think we all have stories like this.

I graduated in 2020 and this is my third cycle of applications. I've never gotten past the application stage ever which is frustrating for me because it seems nearly all my law friends from uni around me have training contracts. Sometimes in the past I get upset so much but I've come to the point where I will feel it but I'm not going to take it too personally anymore.

I get some people may say the law firm just isn't right for you but I feel that doesn't help especially when you tried so hard in your application for it to get nowhere - I spend so long on those applications to get rejected. Its even worse for me because I didn't get AAB (I got BBB and missed by a few marks in 2 of them) so I'm really limited on the law firms I can apply for (I don't have any mitigating circumstances).

Just keep going and find something to do meanwhile if you aren't studying and apply the next cycle.

Hope that helps too!
Thanks for the advice, and I really admire your tenacity :)

I think that’s the way to look at it - it’ll happen for us all eventually, and we’ll all be pleased with the outcome. Even if it takes one cycle, three cycles, six cycles or ten cycles, we’ll get there, and it’ll (hopefully) be worth that effort and energy!

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi guys, when it comes to qualities for a successful lawyer, what do you think is more important leadership or resilience?
@Jessica Booker, do you have a list of qualities that grad recruitment teams want to see in aspiring solicitors?

justanotherstudent

Standard Member
Premium Member
Feb 9, 2024
Still waiting on any reply from Dechert, Hogan Lovells, Cleary, Morgan Lewis, Orrick, Travers Smith, Gibson Dunn, and Ropes and Gray. If anyone has any information on when any of these are expected to reply, or if I should consider any of these auto rejections because slots have already been filled, let me know as it'll make me less anxious

EllaClayton

Valued Member
Jan 23, 2023
Still waiting on any reply from Dechert, Hogan Lovells, Cleary, Morgan Lewis, Orrick, Travers Smith, Gibson Dunn, and Ropes and Gray. If anyone has any information on when any of these are expected to reply, or if I should consider any of these auto rejections because slots have already been filled, let me know as it'll make me less anxious
Travers smith sent a very explicit email response in the receipt of application message, saying they would be taking February to review all applications so I don’t think you need to worry about them at all

neonorange

Distinguished Member
Feb 2, 2024
Also waiting on Cleary/Orrick/GD but I haven't seen anybody talking about getting responses for summer from any of them yet.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Has anyone applied through 10K Black Interns? If so which firms and what has been the update?
    Mine has been Mills and Reeve and BDB Pitmans.
    I'm annoyed because Mills & Reeve say I have to wait till mid February - March! I applied all the way back in November.
    I applied in October.
    I was put through for CMS, Simmons and Lloyds bank, I only proceeded with CMS and Simmons, Was rejected from CMS on Monday and i had an AC with Simmons yesterday. You only do an AC for Simmons if you want a TC consideration after the internship.

EllaClayton

Valued Member
    Jan 23, 2023
    I would rather "A black Linkedin influencer" get an AC over an average oxbridge candidate or someone who complains about a minority getting an opportunity :)
    Agreed! I also think what better way to show your interest and passion in this industry than becoming a law influencer somewhere like LinkedIn! Fair play to anyone who puts in that commitment because it really does get you noticed positively

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys, when it comes to qualities for a successful lawyer, what do you think is more important leadership or resilience?
    @Jessica Booker, do you have a list of qualities that grad recruitment teams want to see in aspiring solicitors?
    I think it depends on the firm. One firm may value leadership over resilience while it could easily be the other way around. A general list of qualities though (in no particular order):

Self awareness
    A drive to learn
    Determination
    Adaptability
    An interest in the firm’s work
    Collaboration skills
    Time mamagement
    Resilience
    Problem solving
    Analytical thinking
    Drive/proactiveness
    Communication skills (written and spoken)
    Commercial awareness
    Open mindedness
    Positivity
    The ability to simplify the difficult
    Originality/independent thought
    Willingness to drive your own career/development forward

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    Nothing from HL and that’s a similar theme from most on the forum, and haven’t seen anything from Ropes yet

Reactions: lawbear123

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.