TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Shreya Verma

Valued Member
Sep 4, 2023
What do you find attractive about BCLP's sectors/departments and which area(s) are you interested in having exposure to in your Training Contract and why?

How to answer this question? Is it necessary to talk about all of BCLP's sectors/departments in general or just those which interest me?

LillyandSilver

Distinguished Member
Oct 18, 2023
This is my first real year applying for training contracts (I was committed to the bar up until this year). I haven't applied to many places, and I've managed to get to the final round for one of them, but it's now more terrifying if that makes sense. I haven't done an AC before, and I'm really scared that I'm going to get all that way and fall at the last second. This is my last year in education, and I really want a TC. Any tips on how to ace an AC? Written tasks and group tasks make me nervous although I've been told I interview well.

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
This is my first real year applying for training contracts (I was committed to the bar up until this year). I haven't applied to many places, and I've managed to get to the final round for one of them, but it's now more terrifying if that makes sense. I haven't done an AC before, and I'm really scared that I'm going to get all that way and fall at the last second. This is my last year in education, and I really want a TC. Any tips on how to ace an AC? Written tasks and group tasks make me nervous although I've been told I interview well.
Even if you don't get one this cycle, in no way have you failed. To get an AC on your first cycle is impressive in its own right, and it's a positive experience regardless of the outcome. Again, the last year in education part isn't too big of a dealbreaker either. I know many (myself included) who have done paralegalling or other jobs while still applying and there's no urgency. In effect, don't put too much pressure on this as your "only shot", as that couldn't be further from the truth. I think if you have that attitude that it's a positive experience and remain confident, that will go a long way :)

Cebause

• Jan 26, 2024
    Hi All! Has anyone received the written assessment for BDB Pitmans? There is also a video interview element for it and I am PANICKING as I have never got this far before.😭 Did anyone sit this last year and if so could you tell me what it was like?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Hey, I need your help. In a similar situation... could you advise me about how to go about the VI?

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    In your first 3 months as a trainee at BCLP, who would you seek to build relationships with, and what strategies would you implement to ensure that these relationships are long lasting? How to answer this? @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker
    I personally with focus on who, in the initial 3 months, will be the best people at the firm to help me figure out how to best navigate the firm, its culture, the workload and the opportunities presented to me as a trainee. In this respect, I would potentially write about meeting a Partner in the practice area I was mostly interested in/or working in, an associate that has a few years of experience at the firm to understand how to best navigate the firm, and someone building D&EI initiatives, as a person of colour, to understand how to best navigate the culture of the firm. This is of course a personal approach that I would take and it can differ.

For the second part of the question, I would focus on meeting them for coffee one a month and updating them as to what I was doing at the firm, who I was inspired by and the work I have been mostly interested in since joining the firm. These are the two strategies I would write about.

I would say that the most important thing here is to make sure that you are structured in your answer and that you answer each part of the question, so choose 2/3 people to speak to at the firm and why, and 2/3 strategies you would use to maintain the relationships.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi @Jessica Booker and @axelbeugre, could you share your perspectives on approaching the question of 'Why City firms?' - I talked about international work and the value of the transaction during my last AC but received negative feedback on that. Could you please help?
    What was the feedback specifically on?

I would say that the value of the transaction, in terms of monetary value, would probably not be something I would mention but I do not know if this is what you are referring to.

More generally though, I think it is important to reflect on what a city law firm might give you in terms of training, growth opportunities, the number of international clients, the nature of the deals and the cases dealt with. All these could be factors you could use to substantiate your why city firm. Additionally, the structure of the training contract is another good opportunity to show that you reflect on how these firms will train you compared to others and what you will be exposed to whilst working with them.

I hope this helps. I am sorry for the rejection but getting an assessment centre is already a huge achievement in itself and congratulations for asking this question as it means you are reflecting on how to be better and that is all that counts.

Good luck with your journey!

Zaidoz10

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 6, 2022
    I have just heard back with an AC ! But I didn’t know that they require you to have work permit in Dubai. They asked to provide a proof of work there. Do you think they don’t provide visa ?
    Congrats! I haven’t heard back yet. I don’t have a work permit in Dubai but that would’ve been some valuable info to share on the website.

zdi2024

Jan 7, 2024
    Got a holding email from Bristows that says the following:

“This is just a quick note to say we have had some delay in coming back to you with next steps as we have had some conflicting internal deadlines with our Partners. Not having heard back from us is not an indication either way. We hope to start first round interviews in March so will be back in touch as soon as we know more.”

Anyone in the same situation? Given that some people received first round interview invitations at the same time today I’m gonna interpret this as a waitlist
    I am in the same situation

Ghassen

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 24, 2022
    Congrats! I haven’t heard back yet. I don’t have a work permit in Dubai but that would’ve been some valuable info to share on the website.
    Well ! I called them to double check as it doesn't make sense to require all candidates to have work permit in Dubai, and they cannot sponsor it as an international firm. They said they will call me back as the AC is next week. Hope you hear soon.
    Anyone else heard back with an AC from Simmons & Simmons Dubai TC ?

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    For anyone with a Freshfields Direct TC AC next week, have you received your link yet to complete the written assessment?

They said we will receive this before the AC and must complete it by the deadline stated on the link. I have not received anything yet so just double checking anyone else has before I contract grad rec.

Thanks,

Last edited:
    Reactions: CallumJR

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.