TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Szofi66

Star Member
Oct 22, 2023
Does anyone have any thoughts on applying to Mayer Brown for a direct TC?

Their FAQs suggest the following: "we strongly recommend that you apply for a Vacation Scheme rather than directly for a Training Contract; the vast majority of our Training Contracts each year are offered to high-performing participants on our Vacation Schemes so that is definitely the most effective way to secure a Training Contract with us".

It seems that they favour VS applicants, so why bother having a direct TC route? Is it worth applying for a direct TC (VS deadline passed)?

@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker - what are your thoughts?
I ended up applying for the direct TC, because you never know whether they see something special in your application or not, or perhaps a trait/a similarity with their firm they are looking for specifically (obviously, tailoring your application to Mayer Brown as much as you can is a must). Also, their application form was fairly simple compared to those having multiple additional questions, it's just your academics and work experience basically, so it went pretty quickly.

This said, if your goal is to secure a TC as fast as you can, it might not be the best choice for you, statistically speaking. And clearly, even though most firms claim that they welcome applicants with a 2.2 with extenuating circumstances or limited legal experience, this is not a situation where you could get away without stellar grades, extracurriculars and work experience. I doubt that they would consider a direct TC application that has any flaws, considering that their primary preference is vac schemers.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Dwight and Sharon Wu

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Their FAQs suggest the following: "we strongly recommend that you apply for a Vacation Scheme rather than directly for a Training Contract; the vast majority of our Training Contracts each year are offered to high-performing participants on our Vacation Schemes so that is definitely the most effective way to secure a Training Contract with us".

It seems that they favour VS applicants, so why bother having a direct TC route? Is it worth applying for a direct TC (VS deadline passed)?

Because some people won’t be able to do vacation schemes and so the TC route is a viable route for those people, and makes sure the firm does not miss out on those people.

If you can wait for the next VS application cycle then I would do, unless you have reasons why you didn’t apply for a VS (beyond not meeting the earlier deadline).

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi Axel, Bakers says about this "It is entirely your decision as to whether you want to apply to a Vacation Scheme or a Training Contract. However, it is worth noting that a large proportion of our trainees undertook a Vacation Scheme with us and Vacation Scheme students are considered for a Training Contract before we review other applications."
What would your take on this be? Do you think the chances are slim for direct TC success?
They are but applying never hurts as this year's cohort might not be up their standards so I would always try my best and apply anyway as you might be lucky. If you do not apply, you will definitely not going to be considered. If you do, there is a chance, even small, it is still a chance worth taking to pursue your goal!

Reactions: Shreya Verma

Co0rpBarbie20

Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 23, 2023
    Hi everyone,

I had a question re NRF. I had applied for the direct TC (non-law) back in July 2023. I got the invitation to the WG but unfortunately wasn't able to clear it. Am I allowed to apply for their direct TC in this cycle?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 05.42.24.png
      Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 05.42.24.png
      50.6 KB · Views: 41

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi everyone,

I had a question re NRF. I had applied for the direct TC (non-law) back in July 2023. I got the invitation to the WG but unfortunately wasn't able to clear it. Am I allowed to apply for their direct TC in this cycle?
    If they do not have a policy where you cannot apply I think they you can, especially because usually law firms do not want you to reapply if you have been invited to assessment centre.

So, in my opinion, you can apply this year!

Reactions: Co0rpBarbie20

lawyerletsgo

Star Member
    Nov 26, 2023
    Not sure which thread I should put this in but does anyone have any advice on what would be a wise move in choosing third year options for law modules? I get to choose 2 modules and I’m currently set on commercial law for option 1 and struggling beteeen Medical law and Ethics, and Taxation law for my second.

I’m not sure if it’s more valuable to do really well in both and choose just whichever is more interesting to me or if I should choose tax law to up my desirability at one of the big law firms? (I find both Med and Tax interesting, and want to get into life sciences transactions eventually) @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Not sure which thread I should put this in but does anyone have any advice on what would be a wise move in choosing third year options for law modules? I get to choose 2 modules and I’m currently set on commercial law for option 1 and struggling beteeen Medical law and Ethics, and Taxation law for my second.

I’m not sure if it’s more valuable to do really well in both and choose just whichever is more interesting to me or if I should choose tax law to up my desirability at one of the big law firms? (I find both Med and Tax interesting, and want to get into life sciences transactions eventually) @Jessica Booker
    Choose the modules you want to study - I really don’t think it makes any difference if you chose between those two modules, and ultimately if you had a strong preference for pursuing tax law or medical law, you’d be naturally picking that topic anyway. Just go with what works best for you and your interests!

hannah04

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2023

My limited two cents on this is that "chances" of success if choosing the direct TC route over the VS route probably depends on each firm. If a firm maintains this position, though, I think it's advising/kind of warning you that its most beneficial to you to apply to the VS over the TC, if this is a firm you really want to have the best chance of securing a TC at. But, because there will be applicants that cannot apply for the VS route for certain circumstances (work a full-time job that they can't take 2 weeks off for or are an international candidate who cannot get a visa for a VS), then a TC option is kept in order to be accommodating as possible to the widest pool of applicants.

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.