TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

ja_mibe

Standard Member
Mar 7, 2024
Hi, I've been a silent observer of this forum for a month or so now, but just made an account because I received an interview invite this morning (first time I have made it to this stage for any firm) and I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, is it worth sending a reply? I only ask this because the email says that I will receive a further email next week offering me a selection of interview dates to choose from, so not sure if it is necessary. My natural inclination is to reply to the email just to say thank you, I guess I'm more just wondering if this is something other people do. Secondly, if I am receiving another email next week to choose dates, when can I actually expect these interview options to be? Just trying to factor in how much time I have to prepare.

These questions might seem super obvious but this is my first cycle and first interview so some clarification would be great. Thanks!

• 🏆
Reactions: yasmars and legallyells

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@axelbeugre I have been lucky enough to have gotten onto the Goodwin vac scheme, and was wondering if you had any advice on how to be successful and impress enough to get the TC? Do you have any insights into how you were assessed? Finally, what were your thoughts on the firm and what ultimately led you to accept the offer? Thanks in advance!
Congratulations on getting the vacation scheme offer, this is a huge milestone!!

I shared some tips on how to convert a vacation scheme to a training contract and I basically did everything that I listed there, the post in question is here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-169320

There is also another post with great advice here:

Thread 'Converting your vacation scheme into a training contract - top tips in 2021'
https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....to-a-training-contract-top-tips-in-2021.3454/

During the scheme you will have a training contract interview, a group assessment and a written exercise. You will also be assessed on a piece of research that graduate recruitment will give you as well as tasks that your supervisors will give you. It sounds like a lot but everything is very doable, you just have to focus throughout the week and you will be fine!

My experience at the firm was very good, I felt very comfortable the entire time, and the firm is also very diverse compared to others I interacted with, plus their work with startup and venture capital (which is what drawn me to the firm in the first place) just pushed me to accept my offer.

I hope that is helpful and good luck!

• ℹ️
Reactions: Kiwi239 and Sharon Wu

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.