TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
Amberjack the Bain of my life 😭 I’ve done 7!!

Side note props to you doing a VI on your phone 😳 that’s insane 😩🤣
Nah I’m not doing it on my phone😭I got the invite from a firm today and clicked on the link through my phone which took me straight to the test. I was so shocked.

Then I saw this woman and thought Jesus she’s gonna be showing up forever - at least until I secure a VS🤣or firms decide on some next bonkers application process in the following cycle.

She must of been paid a healthy amount to do this. Essentially every city firm to National/regional firm uses her video. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s used in consulting. (By the way I’m aware she’s just an actor for a private agency or company of some sort)

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker do you both have any advice on how to approach pitching a new client for a firm?
I am a bit uncertain as to what you mean, is it that you have to pitch a client to the firm or pitch the firm to a new client?

I am assuming you mean the first, I personally would structure it in this way:

1. Choose a client within a sector that is quite established might be more interesting to the assessors. So, for instance, if I was to pitch a client to a firm that has a strong technology practice, I would choose a client operating in the technology sector, emphasising how the law firm is better equipped compared to others to assist this client.
  2. Focus on financial gain for both the client and the firm. How many cases has the law firm won or deals that it has worked on? If the number is significant, it would be good to emphasise that.
  3. Describe how the client can help the firm, maybe from a public image point of view? This will mean that the firm might attract clients similar to the one you choose, increasing revenues and deals the firm works on.

These are some things I would consider which might also apply if you were writing for the firm pitching itself to a new client.

Reactions: Jaysen and NJS

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I have an interview at a firm next week who do work in a niche area that I'm personally very interested in (I wrote my dissertation on a novel topic in the area). However, it isn't one of their core practices and I think there is only one partner who works in the practice group at the London office (there aren't loads of partners in the London office in total tbf) although their overseas offices do more work on it. Would it be unwise to talk about this practice group as one of the reasons I'm interested in the firm? I have already mentioned it in my cover letter and will focus on other areas too in my answer but I have a very genuine interest in this work.
@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker would love to know your thoughts!
I think you can definitely mention this practice area as one of the reasons why you want to join the firm.

I would just be wary to also mention the strongest practice areas of the firm because otherwise they might question why you applied to this firm to do this practice area when other firms excels at it better.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Freshfields VS offer!!!!! I’m still in denial, I need to look at the email about 15 times a day to make sure it’s not a prank.

I have a question: Has anyone heard of a case with Freshfields or even another firm providing or paying for accommodation? I live in London currently but in student accommodation and I will not have accommodation over the course of the programme.
Congratulations on the offer!!

And yes, Goodwin offered an hotel to the vacation schemers who did not have accommodation, I do not know if your firm does it though, it might be worth asking them.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.