Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 16, 2018
Just completed Gowling's game/psychometric test. Scored 8188. Anyone else record their scores?

Edit: Just received feedback report. The score is kind of irrelevant given the amount of data points they take. Quite impressive how they can determine so much about your psychological/behavioural profile from the games!

Last edited:

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
Sadly been rejected post my first Vacation Scheme at Squires - big shame as I loved the firm. I got some really encouraging feedback though and I'm grateful I was able to even do a Vac scheme so am looking at it positively.

My only issue is that I don't have much time to apply to other places. I've done some drafts for DLA, Travers, Mishcon and Hogans - but they are all rolling - are my chances significantly worse if I apply in the next week or so?

Also, do you think I am in a better position now that I've done a VS? Should I consider applying for a direct TC? Sorry for all the questions!

syw

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    Sadly been rejected post my first Vacation Scheme at Squires - big shame as I loved the firm. I got some really encouraging feedback though and I'm grateful I was able to even do a Vac scheme so am looking at it positively.

My only issue is that I don't have much time to apply to other places. I've done some drafts for DLA, Travers, Mishcon and Hogans - but they are all rolling - are my chances significantly worse if I apply in the next week or so?

Also, do you think I am in a better position now that I've done a VS? Should I consider applying for a direct TC? Sorry for all the questions!

I have applied to Travers, and although they are a rolling basis, they said they wouldn't get back to people until the NY, so I think it is still worth applying despite rolling basis!

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

not significantly worse - if they are open, apply

and yes - having a recent VS on your application will only be seen as a positive

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018

So sorry to hear about this for you but honestly, the feedback will really drive you forwards and learning now will undoubtedly mould you into a great trainee!
    Hogan Lovells I applied to last year in early Jan I think- I think you’ll be fine with them!! As for the others I really can’t say but maybe think which are your top two and focus on getting them in.

Re. Direct or not- I suppose it’s firm dependent. If you have two Vac schemes I’d confidently tell you do direct for those which take a reasonable mix from direct and vacs. If it’s the one, I’d probably encourage you to continue with Vac schemes as they’re a great way to figure out what you want and like :)

well done on getting the scheme in the first instance and really glad you had encouraging feedback. Your posts on here are consistently encouraging and kind, you’ll make a great trainee at the firm which is right for you :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: D95 and Daniel Boden

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    I have applied to Travers, and although they are a rolling basis, they said they wouldn't get back to people until the NY, so I think it is still worth applying despite rolling basis!

Good to know - thanks!

So sorry to hear about this for you but honestly, the feedback will really drive you forwards and learning now will undoubtedly mould you into a great trainee!
    Hogan Lovells I applied to last year in early Jan I think- I think you’ll be fine with them!! As for the others I really can’t say but maybe think which are your top two and focus on getting them in.

Re. Direct or not- I suppose it’s firm dependent. If you have two Vac schemes I’d confidently tell you do direct for those which take a reasonable mix from direct and vacs. If it’s the one, I’d probably encourage you to continue with Vac schemes as they’re a great way to figure out what you want and like :)

well done on getting the scheme in the first instance and really glad you had encouraging feedback. Your posts on here are consistently encouraging and kind, you’ll make a great trainee at the firm which is right for you :)

That's really kind of you so thank you very much, definitely helping my motivation!

not significantly worse - if they are open, apply

and yes - having a recent VS on your application will only be seen as a positive

Great - thank you.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Wishing each and every one of you a wonderful day today whether you celebrate Christmas or just soak up the festive cheer and spend time with those close to you. I feel very blessed and grateful to have such a wonderful support system on here and this year has been much better for getting to know you all. Thank you and best wishes to you all- take a well deserved break!

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 8, 2019
    Hi guys, I completed the online test for HSF, but it still looks like my application was last updated before it was submitted? Has anyone else found this?
    Hi EJ,

My application was updated when I received the test link. After completing the test I received an email stating that I have passed the benchmark and that my application is now under review. However, the date on the application portal has not been updated since the day I received the test link. Hope this helps.

iamJW

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 21, 2019
    If I was rejected from the winter vac for Linklaters (I think due to my low WG result with 27/40) but asked to reapply for their spring/summer scheme, is it worth me already assuming I will be rejected again? - Linklaters didn't let me do another WG for the other scheme so I believe my score is the same???

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.