TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

AlegalA

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 4, 2023
Hi,
Is answering a question wrong very blatantly in an AC gonna completely cost me my chances at getting the VS?
There was a question an associate asked and I just didn't really understand, and I asked her to repeat it once already and still it didn't really make sense so I started answering AWFULLY, and I thinkkk I got somewhere at the very end but it was just bad overall... Do I still have a chance or not really?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi,
    Is answering a question wrong very blatantly in an AC gonna completely cost me my chances at getting the VS?
    There was a question an associate asked and I just didn't really understand, and I asked her to repeat it once already and still it didn't really make sense so I started answering AWFULLY, and I thinkkk I got somewhere at the very end but it was just bad overall... Do I still have a chance or not really?
    You definitely still have a chance. The interviewer will take your whole performance into account, largely because an interview is not a test of whether you don't make any mistakes.

The exception to this is if the question was about 'why this firm?' or 'why commercial law?', where it's very important to give a convincing answer, but it doesn't sound like this was the question.

lawgurl90

Star Member
    Jan 3, 2024
    So I got a VS offer, and the dates were running in the summer and in spring. I accepted the dates for the summer. However, due to some unforeseen circumstances, I can't make the summer dates now. I've emailed them to ask them to move me to spring. Does anyone have an idea how flexible firms are with such requests?

starbright

Star Member
    Dec 18, 2021
    First of all congratulations in obtaining one, this is such an amazing achievement, especially given how competitive this cycle was. You really should be proud of yourself. And I also applaud you for still keeping yourself accountable and start preparing for it since the work never stops until you sign the training contract!

I have shared a couple of resources on how to overt a vacation scheme in this post, I hope these will be useful: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/macfarlanes-vac-scheme.8601/post-174236
    Thank you!

Reactions: axelbeugre

AlegalA

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 4, 2023
    You definitely still have a chance. The interviewer will take your whole performance into account, largely because an interview is not a test of whether you don't make any mistakes.

The exception to this is if the question was about 'why this firm?' or 'why commercial law?', where it's very important to give a convincing answer, but it doesn't sound like this was the question.
    amazing that's really reassuring thank you

Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I’m considering relocating back to my home country after graduation and applying for VS from there. Will having a non-UK address on my application forms place me at a disadvantage at the application form stage?
    Will you still have the right to work in the UK after you graduate or will you need a form of sponsorship to work during a VS?

ja_mibe

Standard Member
    Mar 7, 2024
    Just done my first ever interview. I think, considering this, it went reasonably okay. I felt like I was waffling a little at some points, and definitely not the most eloquently I've ever spoken! But hopefully it wasn't too bad. I only struggled with one question where my mind went blank (did not help that my house-mates all came in at that moment and weren't exactly quiet about it) but I then came back to it at the end of the interview and said that I actually had some thoughts on the question now, and then we were able to have a discussion about what I said.

@Jessica Booker I was wondering if you had any thoughts on how this would come across. Do you think this would redeem me somewhat or do you think it's more of a case of negative marks against me for getting flustered initially and not being able to answer the question at the time? In any case, do interviewers look past one question that the candidate was unsure of how to answer, or is this pretty detrimental? Just know I'm going to be overthinking this now!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

hopefulforatc

Star Member
    Mar 3, 2024
    That is really good!

The video interviews was something I used to be bad at too, combined with the watson glaser too. My advice with issues like this is that you need to know yourself. If you feel like these forms of assessments are severly hindering your chances, I would start focusing on firms that do not have these assessments. I was successful with firms that did not have these kind of tests because I was confident in my interview skills but I knew that a video interview or a watson glaser would have not even allowed me to show my interview skills. So applying to US firms with direct interviews after the application stage was something that worked for me. Considerations like this are important in my opinion as you understand yourself and you start spending time on firms that will objectively give you a chance.

However, if you want to improve your video interview skills, I shared some tips on here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-167426

Additionally, there are some posts on TCLA from me and Erin that might be helpful, I will include some links here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/how-to-prepare-for-a-law-firm-video-interview-a-step-by-step-guide-⭐️.8346/ and https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-151491

Good luck!
    Thank you!

Reactions: axelbeugre

jenniferrrrrrr

Star Member
    Sep 11, 2023
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I’m considering relocating back to my home country after graduation and applying for VS from there. Will having a non-UK address on my application forms place me at a disadvantage at the application form stage?
    No it wont - I did it last year. However, you might have to fly to the UK for ACs and firms might not be able to provide full sponsorships for travel / accom.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.