Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know if referring to Baker McKenzie as BM or Baker in online apps is okay? Word count issues
I would keep it to Baker McKenzie as they don't really use either shortened version when referring to themselves.

Here are some ideas on how to get the word count down though so you can keep it to the firm's name:

Reactions: Jaysen and Szofi66

Szofi66

Star Member
Oct 22, 2023
I would keep it to Baker McKenzie as they don't really use either shortened version when referring to themselves.

Here are some ideas on how to get the word count down though so you can keep it to the firm's name:

Thank you very much

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
anyone know if candidates attending an AC are selected in comparison to those from that day or from all candidates across all AC days?
Could be either approach, or actually neither! I wouldn’t worry too much about other candidates though - just focus on yourself and your performance.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
In a written exercise, is it fine to use bullet points or will this look unprofessional?

My thinking is that clients have limited time and want the most pertinent information. So, if I was instructed to write a memo say, could I bullet point the main recommendations in an executive summary, before using headings and substantive paragraphs for each point?

Or is better to just stick with prose? Any thoughts @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre?
I understand the logic behind it and I think it makes sense but I personally would not use them just because they might not consider it as professional. There is a way you can be concise, precise and structured with your answers/recommendations without bullet points, and I think you should write everything in prose in these kind of exercises.

This is because they are also trying to gauge how well you write and it is difficult to do so if you use bullet points. The use of bullet points might be considered unprofessional by some in my opinion. If majority of law firms tell you to stay away from using bullet points in the work experience section, it naturally follows that they will probably not be as open for a written exercise too, that is my thinking process.

Good luck with the written exercise!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Kinda following on from this point, how do you write an executive summary?

Say if you were using one, would you go straight into a heading with “executive summary” and a brief summary of your findings?
It really depends on what kinds of exercise you are given in my opinion. I will share a couple of resources that were helpful to me in making understand how to write one:
https://projects.iq.harvard.edu/fil.../how_to_write_an_exex_summ_to_use_4_18_18.pdf (here it talks about 1-2 pages of an executive summary but of course use the tips for a very brief summary of 150/200 words since your exercise cannot be too long.

https://asana.com/resources/executive-summary-examples

https://www.projectmanager.com/blog/write-an-executive-summary

Reactions: Jaysen and Cherikon

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Do written exercises require intros?

For example, if I was asked to give advice to a client, would you start with niceties? Or go straight into an executive summary? Does an executive summary require a heading?

Sorry, I’m so unfamiliar will all this!I
I personally always went straight into it. if they require an executive summary, they will explicitly ask you to write one so I personally would not worry about one and go straight into it.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
How much do vac scheme applications differ from TC applications other than the process of course, do I need to write my cover letters and application answers any differently?
I personally do not think so, they are pretty much the same, I think that at interview stage though, you should be more prepared to be able to convince the interviewers as to why you want to join that firm specifically over others but that it just my opinion since I did not go through this route myself.

Good luck with applications!

Reactions: medy

jomar

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 20, 2022
Has anyone applied to Bentley Systems one month legal internship and heard back after submitting their written task in late January? I followed up a few weeks after and they said they did not have a clear timeline and curios to know about where the process is at.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.