Macfarlanes Assessment Centre/Interview Help

Corporatepal

Sep 20, 2019
Hi everyone, apologies for the late response, I had a lot of DM's regarding Macfarlanes 2019 AC for their summer scheme, so decided to make a thread.

Group exercise and negotiation:
Group of 5 - case study involving a company wanting to acquire another. 4 points regarding the company - we had to discuss within the group which we think is the most important to include within an executive summary to the client - assessor contributed to discussion and asked some questions - very relaxed atmosphere, just follow the usual group advice.

Negotiation - 2nd part of the paper had 4 points in total regarding the business - involved both sides having to concede on 2 things, one side is the buyer and other is seller - be calm and collective - be flexible, but not too flexible - always have the client in mind

Written exercise:
30 minutes in total - situation where a company had 3 people who were given shares and left the company as a result of one thing or another.

You are given an employment contract - use the clauses within the contract to determine what type of employee they were and how many shares and for what price the owner can recover from these employees based on the contract.

Maths IS INVOLVED! I was stuck with the maths problems as there was no calculator - ensure you have basic division skills (bus stop method) and multiplication

Very time pressured. Ensure you structure the letter clearly and read the contract CAREFULLY

Interview/in tray exercise
15 minutes reading time - case study involving a business that wanted to acquire a warehouse and license their brand to another company. Given another contract setting out what limitations they have - Please read the contract carefully, there was a lot of complicated terminology

Interview
1 partner 1 associate - lovely people. I really struggled with case study - partner guided me through and pushed me to the answers. Actual interview started with - tell me a time you faced a challenge and how you overcame it

Why law - majority of 2nd part went on around something i mentioned that i do which is extra curricular - and why Macfarlanes

And opportunity to ask questions at the end - Don't be asking too many questions, 2 is enough

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi everyone, apologies for the late response, I had a lot of DM's regarding Macfarlanes 2019 AC for their summer scheme, so decided to make a thread.

Group exercise and negotiation:
    Group of 5 - case study involving a company wanting to acquire another. 4 points regarding the company - we had to discuss within the group which we think is the most important to include within an executive summary to the client - assessor contributed to discussion and asked some questions - very relaxed atmosphere, just follow the usual group advice.

Negotiation - 2nd part of the paper had 4 points in total regarding the business - involved both sides having to concede on 2 things, one side is the buyer and other is seller - be calm and collective - be flexible, but not too flexible - always have the client in mind

Written exercise:
    30 minutes in total - situation where a company had 3 people who were given shares and left the company as a result of one thing or another.

You are given an employment contract - use the clauses within the contract to determine what type of employee they were and how many shares and for what price the owner can recover from these employees based on the contract.

Maths IS INVOLVED! I was stuck with the maths problems as there was no calculator - ensure you have basic division skills (bus stop method) and multiplication

Very time pressured. Ensure you structure the letter clearly and read the contract CAREFULLY

Interview/in tray exercise
    15 minutes reading time - case study involving a business that wanted to acquire a warehouse and license their brand to another company. Given another contract setting out what limitations they have - Please read the contract carefully, there was a lot of complicated terminology

Interview
    1 partner 1 associate - lovely people. I really struggled with case study - partner guided me through and pushed me to the answers. Actual interview started with - tell me a time you faced a challenge and how you overcame it

Why law - majority of 2nd part went on around something i mentioned that i do which is extra curricular - and why Macfarlanes

And opportunity to ask questions at the end - Don't be asking too many questions, 2 is enough
    This is super helpful! I'm sure many people appreciate your detailed insight! :)

Have you heard back from them yet?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.