Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
Hello, I can totally relate to this! I also understand how you feel about running out of steam, especially when you get so close to the offer, but you end up missing the offer by such a slim margin. It happened to me too, when I was declined by several firms after the AC stage. It's normal to feel exhausted, especially as it's easy to think you're back on square 1 and that you'll have to start applying all over again after you've gotten past so many stages in the application process.

However, just remember you're not back on square 1 - every AC and case study is helping you get better over time. The fact that you're getting interviews means that you're good enough. With regards to commercial case studies, I've learnt that commercial awareness is something which you can't gain overnight. It's very much incremental. My commercial awareness was awful in my first interview, but I was commended for it in my later interviews.

These are the resources which I've found useful in helping with commercial case studies:

1. TCLA Premium
2. Finimize
3. TCLA's commercial awareness updates
4. Bright Network's commercial awareness updates

All the best!

Hey, i had exactly 11 interviews at different firms (US/SC/MC) before i started getting offers! i know how tough rejections post AC can be especially because all you're thinking is "i was so so close" and the more it happens the more youre tempted to quit. At the beginning of this year I was seriously thinking about giving it all up and then when i least expected it i got 4 offers!

you're already doing so well in getting so many interviews, its just a question of time/practice/luck, and ultimately the right firm for you.
what really helped me was setting up "mock" interviews with either jaysen or one of my friends to whom i gave TCLA's question bank to. she'd seriosuly interview me for about 40 minutes once a week and then show me my recordings giving objective feedback.

in terms of commercial awareness i'd recommend the FT, even just a general read every day can turn out to be extra useful (if youre a law student maybe your course offers base subscrption?). if not id also recommend finimize, jake schogger's "commercial awareness" booklet and TCLA's articles/ weekly commercial updates.

Good luck and dont give up!

Thanks guys! Really needed to hear this.

Waiting on FF but had a read of my PS the other day and it's pretty shocking so I'll probably re-apply for the next cycle.

Congratulations all and good luck to everyone else!

Reactions: Lawyerwithadream

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
Hi,
I just recieved research questions to complete, post Reed Smith SJT. However, I have exams going on and I really want to perform well in the research questions. Would it harm my prospects if I email them about this and request them if I can submit the answers after my exams ?

No. I emailed them asking for an extension so I could attend their open day. As long as you are clear in informing them, they are receptive in my experience.

Though I only asked for a 48 hour extension. Not sure how long they are willing to extend.

Reactions: nymi
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.