Squire Patton Boggs Winter Vac Scheme

Annalise2.0

Jan 15, 2019
Hiya, I am currently applying for SPB's winter vac scheme. It only requires a CV and cover letter and was wondering if anyone could advise how to best structure my cover letter. I've always usually applied to firms with set questions.

This is the structure I have in mind:
1. Why Law and Commercial Law
2. Why SPB and why I want to do a vac scheme there
3. Demonstrate competencies that I have that would make me a good trainee.

Does this sound like I am on the right track? I was also wondering how long a cover letter for vac schemes usually is - I am planning to write a page to keep it concise. My current CV is also 2 pages long but I have heard a few firms prefer a one page CV for vac schemes and training contracts. Do I submit my 2 page CV with my application?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
There’s no set structure really for a cover letter just as long as it is well structured and concise (no more than one page). I would suggest ordering it paragraphs 1, 3 then 2 - but that’s just a personal preference as I think this is a better flow - but it completely depends on what you write and how the paragraphs link together (if they do).

One page CVs tend to be some US firms but even then that’s not consistent. A two page CV is far more common for law firms.

But a 1 page CV will be well viewed by any firm. Don’t bulk out a CV just to get it across 2 pages.

Reactions: encrenoire

gricole

Legendary Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    I used a two-page CV. Who should I address my Covering Letter to? I'm thinking of Giles Chesher, the training principal, (according to Chambers Student).

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    I used a two-page CV. Who should I address my Covering Letter to? I'm thinking of Giles Chesher, the training principal, (according to Chambers Student).
    On their website it is a Miriam Edwards, Emerging Talent Advisor who says I look forward to receiving your application under the winter VS London and Birmingham so I would be inclined to address it to her.

gricole

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    On their website it is a Miriam Edwards, Emerging Talent Advisor who says I look forward to receiving your application under the winter VS London and Birmingham so I would be inclined to address it to her.

Thank you, Helena! I noticed the name but was unsure whether to send it to her. To complicate matters further, LawCareers.Net only state Apply to Graduate Recruitment Team. I will take the risk, however, and go with Ms Edwards. Best of luck!

Reactions: Helena

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you, Helena! I noticed the name but was unsure whether to send it to her. To complicate matters further, LawCareers.Net only state Apply to Graduate Recruitment Team. I will take the risk, however, and go with Ms Edwards. Best of luck!

You’d be perfectly fine with any of those three options

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, on the CV do you list all your module grades? I have quite a lot of work experience and listing all of my modules is going to make my CV more than two pages! Thanks

not sure what their policy is but seen people get it on a couple of lines by formatting it like

Year 1 - average 64: Module 1 (68), Module 2 (45), Module 3 (56), Module 4 (60) Year 2: Etc etc etc etc

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.