Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miki3999

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    Hi guys, I'm facing a fairly difficult question. The thing is that I had an interview at Slaughters for direct TC in August and screwed up so badly (specially the article part). During the interview, I wasn't really myself due to the fact I had to sleep on the floor at my friends' flat because I am not from London and I just couldn't afford a hotel room before the interview. Anyway, I recently took part in the competition organised by Slaughters and they sent me an email saying that I have been shortlisted for the final award, which will be revealed during a formal even organised by SM to which they sent me an invitation.

My question is: do you think it would be ok for me to ask the partners during the "informal drinks" whether they would give me a second chance? I know it's not their policy to interview the same candidate twice, but I intended to show them that instead of simply asking for a second chance, I rather wanted to "earn" that chance.

Does it make any sense?

Sorry for the grammar I'm not super sober rn

Last edited:

bethbristol

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Oct 30, 2019
    The sqe confuses me, idk how much you know but this is what I know:
    It’s a set of exams which cost around 4 grand altogether. You can take these any time but uoflaw etc are going to be doing courses to help you prepare (the cost is still up in the open). However I think it favours law students because a lot of sources I have read say that sqe1 has similar content to the LLB, and I’m assuming sqe2 has similar content to the LPC. Also, you don’t need a training contract to become a solicitor, you can do any legal work experience and qualify. I wonder how law firms will react to this? I feel like they’re kind of not addressing this big change even though it’s happening in a year. :s
    Sorry if I just repeated everything you already know! :D

Also those two years work experience can be divided between firms/areas etc. May be beneficial to some but could potentially be problems if firms use this as an opportunity to give out unpaid work experience as an example

Frank

Valued Member
    Dec 12, 2018
    Hi guys, I'm facing a fairly difficult question. The thing is that I had an interview at Slaughters for direct TC in August and screwed up so badly (specially the article part). During the interview, I wasn't really myself due to the fact I had to sleep on the floor at my friends' flat because I am not from London and I just couldn't afford a hotel room before the interview. Anyway, I recently took part in the competition organised by Slaughters and they sent me an email saying that I have been shortlisted for the final award, which will be revealed during a formal even organised by SM to which they sent me an invitation.

My question is: do you think it would be ok for me to ask them whether they would give me a second chance? I know it's not their policy to interview the same candidate twice, but I intended to show them that instead of simply asking for a second chance, I rather wanted to "earn" that chance.

Does it make any sense?

The worst thing is that they'll say no, so go for it (when you're sober)

Frank

Valued Member
    Dec 12, 2018
    Ropes & Gray Application rejection!!
    Make that Simmons, Shearman, Sidley, Jones Day (post-Interview), Weil .. all rejections! My biggest barrier is the grades which were bad in 1st & 2nd year (mit circumstances).. Currently on the LLM so I’m on my last limb.. Sigh well I guess I’m going to have to start looking at paralegal positions. Hope everyone else’s applications go well !

Paralegal or try other legal positions at international institutions, dunno. Keep your ambitions as wide as possible :) Can help with international organisations if interested bcos I did/doing right now work experience

PhoebeL

Esteemed Member
    Jan 7, 2020
    would I be better off leaving out my most recent employment, which was a retail job at a ‘low ranking’ store (it’s not a designer or more ‘up-market’ brand)? I’m worried it might be looked down on or give a wrong impression of me, but also wondering if the gap left with taking it off would look worse, anyone have any advice?
    Leave it in - I was a supervisor in a major high street store and I have been asked about my transferable skills and general awareness of the industry a fair bit this application process

Frank

Valued Member
    Dec 12, 2018
    Fun story. I've seen for the first time the term "PFO" on this forum, I didn't know what the jargon stands for. I called a few firms to ask for a status update, and wanted to say the following: "given that I haven't heard anything since X month, should I assume it is a PFO"? Thank God I haven't said that, it was like a divine voice that told me to shut up. One minute ago I understood why :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    My messages are going crazy again. If you are asking me something that other people will also benefit from reading, please can you either use the Ask GR thread, or tag me in another thread so I can respond there.

Thanks in advance ;)

Reactions: Alice G and Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    P.S.S.

Does anyone know of any firms that have a good chance of giving TCs during their summer cycle?

Currently looking at my list of direct TCs and I don't want to be applying if I have little to no chance...

people need to stop thinking about chances being based on the firm. They are based on you.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Holly

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    would I be better off leaving out my most recent employment, which was a retail job at a ‘low ranking’ store (it’s not a designer or more ‘up-market’ brand)? I’m worried it might be looked down on or give a wrong impression of me, but also wondering if the gap left with taking it off would look worse, anyone have any advice?

no - you definitely include something like this

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

My question is: do you think it would be ok for me to ask the partners during the "informal drinks" whether they would give me a second chance? I know it's not their policy to interview the same candidate twice, but I intended to show them that instead of simply asking for a second chance, I rather wanted to "earn" that chance.

Does it make any sense?

Your second chance will come with applying again and going through the process like any other candidate. If that is that they won’t reinterview candidates, they are unlikely to make an exception for something that happened 7 months ago and that wasn’t addressed at the time.

It won’t be the partners’ decision though. You need to speak to graduate recruitment.

how do you mean “earn” that chance?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Also those two years work experience can be divided between firms/areas etc. May be beneficial to some but could potentially be problems if firms use this as an opportunity to give out unpaid work experience as an example

Any reasonable firm is not going to rely on unpaid interns for 3-6+ months.

Reactions: bethbristol

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This may be a silly question... but what do people think is the best way to approach messaging lawyers on LinkedIn for a coffee??

Find people that you have a similarity with. Might have studied your degree at your uni, might have worked at the same company, may have gone to your school.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Ayo Babatunde and Samar

Frank

Valued Member
    Dec 12, 2018
    This may be a silly question... but what do people think is the best way to approach messaging lawyers on LinkedIn for a coffee??

I personally don’t see an issue with this. It’s a fine line between being overly pushy, pushy, and normal. I personally started the convo on LinkedIn and after asked if it’s better to have a word over a phone call. But Jess is also right, so it’s a matter of preference

Reactions: lexiak
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.