General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawGirl

Jan 16, 2020
Hey guys, quick question. What's the difference btw doing a vacation scheme in your 2nd and final year. Do you get less time to accept a TC offer if you are in your final year? I am a bit worried about this.

m24

Star Member
Nov 26, 2018
Hey guys, quick question. What's the difference btw doing a vacation scheme in your 2nd and final year. Do you get less time to accept a TC offer if you are in your final year? I am a bit worried about this.

It will depend on the firm, but generally, there will be no major difference. You may have more time between graduation and starting the LPC if you secure an offer in your final year, but that depends on the start-date you're offered. As far as I am aware there is no difference regarding the vacation scheme/offer process though.

Harvey

Distinguished Member
Nov 11, 2018
Attention all those with vac schemes - accommodation idea

Unusual one, but I am currently in the process of putting together a small group of people with vac schemes (during 20 July-31 July).

I was hoping I could find enough people who would like to jointly rent out an airbnb for two weeks and therefore reduce the price of our accommodation.

Inbox me if you're interested

• ℹ️
Reactions: SportsThoughts

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019

In second year, TC offers are usually longer and can be extended until September. However, I believe for final year and graduates, they offer about 4 weeks.

It depends on the firm and there is no harm in you asking for longer if you are pressured to accept/reject.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Zoo

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Attention all those with vac schemes - accommodation idea

Unusual one, but I am currently in the process of putting together a small group of people with vac schemes (during 20 July-31 July).

I was hoping I could find enough people who would like to jointly rent out an airbnb for two weeks and therefore reduce the price of our accommodation.

Inbox me if you're interested

there is a slight chance I might be looking for a flat (and cat) sitter for the last three weeks of July. If it does happen, I’ll let people know. Would be suitable for either a single person, couple or if someone doesn’t mind sleeping in the living room on the sofa bed, you could get two single people in there.

you’d just need to put up with a cat who can wake you up wanting to be fed There wouldn’t be any charge for anyone who did....

Should have mentioned the flat is central (near Earls Court) and close to 3 tube lines so usually fairly easy to get to most locations in London

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Depends on the individual firm’s policy. Code fo best practice says a penultimate year student would get until the 15/16 September while the final year student would get four weeks to accept.

Not all firms abide by the code though

• ℹ️
Reactions: m24

Rfn38

Aug 1, 2019
Two of the three would be over my holiday entitlement and would certainly leave no room if I did get any interviews in the future. That is really helpful advice - I am a little hesitant to not have been in a professional role for a year but I think that it is probably better to focus on the end goal. Thank you

Speak to the firm you are offered the paralegal role and ask if you can take unpaid leave for the one that does not fall under your holidays

Last edited:

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Speak to the firm you are offered the paralegal role and ask if you can take unpaid leave for the one that does not fall under your holidays
That's a thought, but from experience you will never be allowed to have that much leave in a paralegal role - two vac schemes plus unpaid leave for a further VS that could mean a block of 5/6 weeks off this summer. Unlikely in my view.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Jessica Booker

Rfn38

Aug 1, 2019
That's a thought, but from experience you will never be allowed to have that much leave in a paralegal role - two vac schemes plus unpaid leave for a further VS that could mean a block of 5/6 weeks off this summer. Unlikely in my view.
As far as the firm is concerned she is asking for unpaid leave for one vac scheme since the rest falls under her holiday entitlement, but of course they might not accept it as this will be a significant continuous absence. No harm in asking and finding out though.

Reactions: Helena

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

completely agree - most firms will offer three weeks off max.

Reactions: Alaw96 and Helena

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
As far as the firm is concerned she is asking for unpaid leave for one vac scheme since the rest falls under her holiday entitlement, but of course they might not accept it as this will be a significant continuous absence. No harm in asking and finding out though.

it’s not the pay that’s the issue. It’s the fact that they will need someone to do the job while you are out for such a long period of time. It also makes it a lot more difficult for other team members to take time off. Most employers won’t give you unpaid leave unless there is a legitimate excuse - that won’t be going to work for another employer.

you’ll also need to declare to the paralegal firm that you are working for competitors (which would also probably block their approval).

this is even more unlikely if you are still in a probation period for the firm too.

Reactions: Holly

Popal

Distinguished Member
Feb 25, 2020
Hi all, not sure if anyone else has experienced something similar but I had not realised there was an additional questionnaire on things like gender and background etc at the end of the FieldFisher online assessment. I therefore didn't complete this. I received my assessment results via email which stated that I would hear back from FieldFisher within 7 days - this was 3 weeks ago. I am now wondering whether, because I hadn't spotted the questionnaire, my application was not considered. I have now completed the questionnaire but I fear it's too late. Can anyone shed light on this? I have emailed to ask about this but have had no response so far.

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all, not sure if anyone else has experienced something similar but I had not realised there was an additional questionnaire on things like gender and background etc at the end of the FieldFisher online assessment. I therefore didn't complete this. I received my assessment results via email which stated that I would hear back from FieldFisher within 7 days - this was 3 weeks ago. I am now wondering whether, because I hadn't spotted the questionnaire, my application was not considered. I have now completed the questionnaire but I fear it's too late. Can anyone shed light on this? I have emailed to ask about this but have had no response so far.

Thanks!

the equal ops question is unlikely to be the issue/delay

Reactions: Popal
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.